Stepping into the Way-Back Machine…

I happened on this “guide” way back in a journal entry I did in 2006, I think. It seems to be timeless advice, and I just know there are some of you out there who will find these guidelines quite useful in your lives; I know I have!

The Good Wife’s Guide

* Have dinner ready. Plan ahead, even the night before, to have a delicious meal ready, on time, for his return. This is a way of letting him know that you have been thinking about him and are concerned about his needs. Most men are hungry when they come home, and the prospect of a good meal (especially his favorite dish) is part of the welcome needed.

* Prepare yourself. Take 15 minutes to rest so you’ll be refreshed when he arrives. Touch up your make-up, put a ribbon in your hair and be fresh looking. He has just been with a lot of work-weary people.

* Be a little gay and a little more interesting for him. His boring day may need a lift and one of your duties it to provide it.

* Clear away the clutter. Make one last trip through the main part of the house just before your husband arrives. Gather up schoolbooks, toys, paper etc. and then run a dust cloth over the tables.

* Over the cooler months of the year you should prepare and light a fire for him to unwind by. Your husband will feel he has reached a haven of rest and order, and it will give you a lift too. After all, catering for his comfort will provide you with immense personal satisfaction.

* Prepare the children. Take a few minutes to wash the children’s hands and faces (if they are small), comb their hair and, if necessary change their clothes. They are little treasures and he would like to see them playing the part.

* Minimize all noise. At the time of his arrival, eliminate all noise of the washer, dryer or vacuum. Try to encourage the children to be quiet.

* Be happy to see him. Greet him with a warm smile and show sincerity in your desire to please him.

* Listen to him. You may have a dozen important things to tell him but the moment of his arrival is not the time. Let him talk first – remember his topics of conversation are more important than yours.

* Make the evening his. Never complain if he comes home late or goes out to dinner, or other places of ntertainment without you. Instead try to understand his world of strain and pressure and his very real need to be at home and relax.

* Your goal: Try to make sure your home is a place of peace, order and tranquility where your husband can renew himself in body and spirit.

* Don’t greet him with complaints and problems.

* Don’t complain if he’s late home for dinner or even if he stays out all night. Count this as minor compared to what he might have gone through that day.

* Make him comfortable. Have him lean back in a comfortable chair or have him lie down in the bedroom. Have a cool or warm drink ready for him.

* Arrange his pillow and offer to take off his shoes.

* Speak in a low, soothing and pleasant voice.

* Don’t ask him questions about his actions or question his judgment or integrity. Remember, he is the master of the house and, as such, will always exercise his will with fairness and truthfulness. You have no right to question him.

* A good wife always knows her place.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Oh I am glad I found this, and I plan to put it all into practice just as soon as I get myself up off the floor after my laughing fit knocked me right over.

Cheers for the Good (and all the bad) Wives of the World,

It’s in every one of us to be wise;

Find your heart, open up both your eyes.

We can all know every thing without ever knowing why.

It’s in every one of us, by and bye.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

14 Responses to Stepping into the Way-Back Machine…

Oh Nina, that was priceless… I especially liked the line “Hide the real you.” Oh yeah, that’s what being a woman is all about (not!). What were we thinking?

2. nina says:

When I was young, I loved the Disney movie Summer Magic. I really took to heart the lyrics of one of the songs in it — “Femininity” (and was terribly saddened that, as an athletic spunky kid, I could not pull it off). I truly believed them, even the line about how you should hide the real you:

You must walk feminine
    Talk feminine
    Smile and beguile feminine
    Utilize your femininity
    That’s what every girl should know, if she wants to catch a beau

Dance feminine
    Glance feminine
    Act shy and sigh feminine
    Compliment his masculinity
    That’s what every girl should know, if she wants to catch a beau

Let him do the talking
    Med adore good listeners
    Laugh, but not too loudly (Haha)
    If he should choose to tell a joke
    Be radiant, but delicate
    Memorize the rules of etiquette
    Be demure, sweet and pure
    Hide the real you

You must look feminine
    Dress feminine
    You’re at your best feminine
    Emphasize your femininity
    That’s what every girl should know
    Femininity, femininity
    That’s the way to catch a beau

3. T.S. says:

I miss the past. Life was so good. ๐Ÿ˜Ž

4. WendyNC says:

I truly wish I had enough hair left in which to put a ribbon! It’s the first of many “failings.”

I am very glad to see the male contingent commenting in here… thanks Eric and Michael..(and now TS). I figured at least one of you would agree that this is what a wife should be all about… (not!).

And Nina (welcome home, BTW), you mean you don’t put a ribbon in your hair for when Ed comes down off the roof?

6. Michael says:

This could have been written by Ralph Kramden (and laughingly ignored by Alice). In other words, it’s timeless, just as you said.

Hey, what are you all laughing about? Sounds good to me ๐Ÿ™‚

8. sandy from iowa says:

!!!!!!!!!!HAHA!!!!!!!!!!

9. Nina Camic says:

I do exactly one of those things — the first!
    As for the rest — the sad thing is that this really was the conventional wisdom for so long…

10. Daisy says:

Oh my word!! Hahahaha! ๐Ÿ˜€

I guess you could say we now have a ROTF LMAO club here…

LOL, I’m on the floor with the two of you. Yes, I do, do some of these when I’m in the mood but not as a daily fare. What a hoot!

13. Maggie says:

Wife=Nanny

On the floor here too Bex!