Ditching the Shampoo

The other day I ran across an interesting web site called IN SONNET’S KITCHEN. The author wrote an article called “How to Wash Your Hair with Baking Soda and Vinegar.” This intrigued me, so I investigated a bit. I actually found lots of sites that said the same thing, that the chemicals found in commercial shampoos are not good for us or for the Earth in general. So I thought I’d give it a try.

Now I have to say that I have not used the vinegar part of this recipe — just the baking soda. (I might add here that the vinegar is for rinsing after you clean with the water/baking soda combo). I don’t have any of the plain white distilled vinegar here, only cider vinegar, and I didn’t want to smell like a coleslaw all day. But just using the baking soda which I added to a pump-spray bottle of water, did the trick. Here are the results:

Day 1:

hair no shampoo day 1 hair no shampoo day 1 Hair no shampoo day 1

When you wash your hair with this mixture, water and baking soda (I used about 2 teaspoons of baking soda to about 2 cups of water), you don’t get any suds so it doesn’t feel like you are really cleaning your hair. But if you try it, just wait… it gets just as clean, if not cleaner, than it does with the commercial shampoos.

Day 2 (I do not wash my hair every day, in fact, I go several days between washes – so this is day 2 after sleeping on it, etc.):

hair no shampoo day 2 hair no shampoo day 2 hair no shampoo day 2

And day 3 (still not washed again):

day 3

My hair stayed clean for 3 full days whereas before, when I would use shampoo, after about a day and a half, it would start looking greasier, and certainly by day 3 it was awful.

If you read the web site I referenced, go down and read through the “comments” section. There are a lot of comments, and I read every single one of them, and people seem to be raving about this method of hair cleaning. So I wanted to join the chorus of happy baking soda users and let you know first-hand that it does work. Actually, it has made my hair feel thicker. I have baby-fine soft hair and it looks pretty limp usually with shampoos, but not now.

So there you go. Something new to try. I’ve got a bottle of the mixture in the shower for Paul, too. I told him to try it but he’s hard to change – we’ll see if he does. It’s sure a lot less expensive than that stuff in the stores and a lot easier on the planet in general.

you talkin' to ME?

Above, I just changed the curtains here for the winter, back to the dark red corduroy and it’s feeling warmer in here already.

Kip says hi, BTW… (woof)

Cheers for the Soda-Head,

It’s in every one of us to be wise;

Find your heart, open up both your eyes.

We can all know every thing without ever knowing why.

It’s in every one of us, by and bye.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

12 Responses to Ditching the Shampoo

1. Irene Fulton says:

Great suggestion – I will give this a go for sure!

I just found this site:

Go read it when you get a minute. It tells the sorry details of the harm shampoos are causing us! It’s more scary than I had even thought.

3. Thanks for the tip, Bex! I gotta give it a try. I have dry scalp and most shampoos make me itch like the dickens. Probably the chemicals…

Em and TT, good luck!

Em, I was thinking you might want to fill up a sink with warm water and put in a few spoonfuls of the b.soda in there and just dip your head upside down into that and swish it all around. Or, have Mr. F. get in the shower with you and he can do the washing of your hair! How romantic… You could do his and he could yours…

I don’t know how you manage having that long hair still. I love mine short now – I never have to think about it much. I hate hair on my neck too.

This sounds like something I would like to try. My only question is concerning the length of my hair – down past my bum. Although I will give it a go since I like to go green. I remember using a vinegar rinse when I was a kid. I do remember smelling like a salad for a day or two.

Okay, I might need to try this. Now that I’m in my 50s, I’m allergic to basically every shampoo I’ve ever tried – even the special, hypoallergenic, plant-based ones.

Wendy, thanks!

Harriet, in the article it says you “rinse” with the vinegar, you don’t mix them together. Sorry I didn’t state that more clearly. The vinegar is a rinse. Once I get some white distilled vinegar here, I will give it a try and report back.

Maggie, You don’t put the baking soda on your scalp, it’s so diluted in the water and you rinse it off good with hot water and then I use cold water at the end to close up the hair shafts. As long as you rinse well it shouldn’t be a problem.

Sandy, my pleasure! Let me know if it works for you, too. Your hair is about like mine… baby fine.

Bonnie, of course… anything to get it onto your head. Actually a squirt-type bottle would be better than the pump.

THIS IS THE PUMP BOTTLE THAT I GOT TO USE FOR THIS.

Actually, the first time I did this, I just put the baking soda and water in a 2-cup glass measuring cup and just poured a little on my head at a time and washed. I didn’t use up the whole 2 cups so that’s why I went with the bottle, to save it for next time and not throw the remainder down the drain. Waste not, want not!

8. Sandy From Iowa says:

WOW…will give it a try next wash day…I too dont wash everyday…my hair is very fine and washing to offen is hard on it.
    Thanks for hints

9. Bonnie says:

Could soda and water simply be put in a squeeze bottle instead of a spray bottle? I find spray bottles eventually quit spraying?

10. Thanks for sharing Bex. I’ve tried different home concoctions and not found anything I would like to use long term. But I haven’t tried water and baking soda! It will be interesting to see if there is any long term skin irritation. I know that some people who have used baking soda for underarm odour, have experienced serious skin irritation; but not all.

11. l'empress says:

Interesting. I have really awful hair, but it’s no longer as oily as it was forty years ago.

I’m kind of surprised at the mixture; vinegar neutralizes baking soda. On the other hand, ladies long ago used to use vinegar for a final rinse, because it also neutralized the soaps they used.

12. WendyNC says:

What pretty silver hair you have-and enough of it. I might have some hair envy here. 🙂