Email won’t work, trying this method

My email will not go thru – after it was fine earlier. I don’t know how to fix it either. Something about the smp thing – not connecting… I get this message:

“Sending of message failed.

The message could not be sent because the connection to SMTP server smtp.verizon.net timed out. Try again or contact your network administrator.

I have no idea what to do. Who is my network administrator? Verizon? And who there would help me?

This entry is another way of telling those to whom I am writing that my email is on the fritz just now so not to worry if I don’t answer your E’s for a while. If this continues, I will post another new entry saying so. For the rest of you, sorry about this!

I wish I had a computer guru but mine disappeared so all I have is me, and I know very little really.

un-cheers for the email gremlins… it seems I’ve had trouble both with computer and laptop since the new year… I wonder if there is a worldwide problem afoot?

It’s in every one of us to be wise;

Find your heart, open up both your eyes.

We can all know every thing without ever knowing why.

It’s in every one of us, by and bye.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

8 Responses to Email won’t work, trying this method

Yes, I do vaguely remember those days Eric… free TV. I also remember learning that UK citizens have to pay a TV rate (tax/fee) just to have TV service and thought that was outrageous! I’ll just bet their telly fees are a lot less expensive than our cable fees have become. I remember when I first got cable, back in the early 1980s (?), it cost me $19.95 a month. It’s well over $100 a month now and climbs almost every few months. Outrageous! I wish I could wean off cable but I’m just not there yet.

And Eric, normally I would have been afraid to “restore” but they said that my files, photos, etc. would not be touched, so I tried it. Also, my friend Sandy just told me that she has to do that every once in a while too (probably after some nasty update has come along) so since she’s done it, I feel better about doing it, and will again if I need to.

Wow. You’re braver than I am. I’ve never dared use that restore feature. But good for you. And I know what you mean about contacting “support”. Every time I need to call earthlink.net I’m on the phone for hours and shaking for two days! Remember the old days? All we had were television sets. You plugged them in, turned them on, they worked.

Thanks everyone!

I just fixed it!!! Well, not really fixed it but yes, fixed it… for me anyway.

I found where you could “restore” your computer back to a certain date… they gave the date of Jan 1, 2014, so I took a risk and clicked that and my computer was restored back to that date.

I emailed out and it went thru!!! I can’t believe it.

4. WendyNC says:

Bex, it seems that Verizon email doesn’t necessarily want to place nicely with Thunderbird. I found a discussion which might be useful here:

Calling verizon is my last resort. Every time I have EVER called them, I lost my sanity that day. I do not want to go insane today. I went to the Verizon web page and went to my email account and I can send out from there. (Is that what they call “web based email”?) so as a last resort I can send from there. But I tried back at Mozilla Thunderbird again and it still won’t go out.

I wonder if I should just wait a while to see if this is a universal problem that will get fixed or if I am stuck like this until I fix it myself, which I don’t seem to have the brainpower to do! Oh woe is me!

6. l'empress says:

Going back to my most recent difficulties, I found that one problem was that ya-who? was “fixing” things again. They usually let the users know after we have become suspicious again.

I am convinced that much of the rest is caused by interaction between providers. msn gave me trouble till I turned it off entirely. Google+ wants me to switch from my current programs; frequently gmail quits in the middle of an action and loses everything. Why can’t these kids learn to “play nice”?

7. Bex, confirming that the issue is something to take up with Verizon. A call to their technical support should connect you with a support person who can walk you through any adjustments necessary for your email. Be prepared when you call them, with your account number, and have the computer turned on and ready for tinkering. The problem may be at their end, they may have upgraded something that interferes with your configurations, or it may be at your end. If they are worth their salt they will be able to talk you through the issue. Be patient, it takes time to go through the picky details of online support. Good luck!

8. WendyNC says:

Bex, I don’t know what’s happening out there, but more than one provider has been having trouble since around the first of the year. Below is a link for information about Verizon: