A Show All About Nothing

This is how I think of my life these days – a show all about nothing.

Jerry Seinfeld made himself a fortune or two off of that idea… his show about nothing on TV… but I’m afraid no one is going to pay to see my personal show about nothing… not that interesting.

I go through the motions of life, barely, these days. I get out of bed by about 9 or shortly thereafter (sometimes earlier but I try to make 9 o’clock just because I can!) I always get dressed for the day, usually in the same uniform every day. I am more like a fixture here in the house, never changing much. I come down and get my cuppa and do any needed chores, like making Paul a bread in the machine, and then I sit down and drink my life-sustaining cuppa coffee, without which I may as well not even get out of bed.

Today I had a few things to accomplish – wash the hair (oh yeah… I gave up on that baking soda thing a while back. I now use my shampoo but I don’t wash it every day, maybe once every 4 days – about as often as I have to make Paul a bread in the machine). I also had to whip up a batch of oatmeal cookies for him today as he ate up the last of previous batch. I threw in a handful or so of milk chocolate chips – not because he loves chocolate chips, he doesn’t, but because I had them here and I love them, and I have been known to eat one or two of his cookies…

Dried my hair which is always a challenge for me. Standing up long enough to dry my hair is too painful so I have to sit on the (closed) toilet seat and do it but I can’t see what I’m doing so sometimes the drying technique is less than ideal. But after almost 66 years of living on this earth, how my hair dries is really of very little consequence to anyone.

It’s a beautiful winter day here, all the snow has disappeared with the rain we had. Paul is working in the basement on his lobstering gear (buoys, traps, ropes, etc.). I am contemplating getting stuck into my current book right about now so there you go! Nothing much going on here.

Oh, I am progressing a bit in the “decluttering” department, and I will update you on that at another time. Just not in the mood at the present to organize a blog about all of it. But it IS getting done, slowly….

coming:

times they are a-changin'

and going:

times they are a-changin'

It’s in every one of us to be wise;
Find your heart, open up both your eyes.
We can all know every thing without ever knowing why.
It’s in every one of us, by and bye.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

15 Responses to A Show All About Nothing

Now able to scroll, with a few problems.

Having achieved the grand age of 56, I find that now every winter I become sore and have problems walking. Why? Because I’m not walking and the more time I spend sitting at my desk, on my couch, on a chair, the more problems I have with walking and with pain. I become stiff, I have trouble even getting up from a couch or chair, and I have to do it slowly.

I’ve found over time that the cause of the problem is actually that I’m not walking very much! Even shopping and walking an entire grocery store or mall once a week isn’t enough to take care of the problems created by a sedentary life. But at this point in the winter I choose the sedentary life.

However, once the ice comes off the walkways, I pop 3 ibuprofens and maybe even a couple of muscle relaxants to hold the pain at bay and I start walking the dogs with DH. I’m very slow at first and can’t go far but the further I go, the further I can go. And by fall I can do more than a mile – and that without any pain at all.

Honestly, hon, I suspect that (ignoring your actual injuries) that you might have a similar problem with lack of mobility enforcing lack of mobility. Come spring and safe walking, I’d really suggest you start walking your neighborhood and slowly expanding your distance. I think you’ll find that once you walk through the initial pain that you’ll be more capable of getting around than you realize.

As to a show all about nothing, having been living a circus for a good 7 years, I can honestly say that most folks would not want to have their lives be a sideshow. You and Paul are many times blessed, including having so many friendships due to the wonder of the internet. So many people even a decade ago lived their later years truly only in their own heads as they had no way to communicate with others except by infrequent phone calls and letters.

*hugs*

Hey, Bex. Just to let you know I can’t scroll in the comments. I’ve sent a note to let them know.

3. hil says:

What a lovely home you have! I love the photo hidden in the comments of all the snow, too.

4. Sandy in Chicago says:

Bex I love reading about your life, the dogs, Paul. As I get older I have more aches and pains and winter is definitely harder. But like Bonnie said “slower is better than stop” 🙂

what a difference a day can make – just took this photo out front:

snow flakes coming down as big as saucers!!!

I like your every day life. It seems calming to me. I like your idea of doing chores like cooking for Paul in the morning. I may have to give that a try. I know Mr. F would like to have some homemade sweet stuff around.

As for hair, I wash mine once or twice a week. If I can get it done in the morning, I braid it up wet. If it is later in the day, I partially dry it with a hair dryer and then braid it up.

Thank you so much for sharing your life with us. You are the best.

7. Sounds like you have the winter blahs. Spring is coming! Life will look different then!

8. Bonnie: You quack me up. *smiling big*.

Bex: Bravo with the de-cluttering intentions. My home and identity are all wrapped up in the concept of clutter… or so my stepmother observed many years ago. I like to think I live midst organized clutter.

Like you, I too have had to pare and streamline activity. After two hip replacements, my joints behave… but then my lungs started to act up. It sometimes sucks, though manufactured oxygen allows me to pretend all is right in my tiny world.

I love all the additional observations made here.

Sending you sparkles of happy to brighten your day. xoxo

9. beanie says:

I don’t wash my hair every day, either. I just spray it with water to get rid of bed head. Heh. As for drying it, I just comb it and let it air dry. My hair is short so I can do that… and then it doesn’t get dried out from the heat of the dryer

10. Bonnie says:

At 74yrs. my life is a slow and slower, but that is better than stop.

11. Sandy From Iowa says:

I have a quiet life for the most part and I like it at my age now…when I was younger raising kids it was way busy …
    Always enjoy your blogs of your life

Hey, I see your pic at the top features a crow!

Mary and I live by an uneventful routine. Just about all of our surprises are bad ones, like furnace breakdowns and such. Sometimes I reckon I am barely alive but then I recall the alternative, back before I worked at home and had to commute and put up with office politics etc and it doesn’t seem so bad. But what would we do without the Internet? I can’t imagine.

I guess we all need to just enjoy what we have at this stage of our lives.

13. What lovely nothing you have Bex! I think that most humans on the planet would be delighted with the kind of nothing you offer to the world. Keep up the good work!