Shout Out Sunday No. 6 – A UK Trip to Remember

Good Sunday morning!

The Sunday Shout-Out web site for today, 09 February 2014 is:

Ilana’s trip to the UK

including a (slightly cheating version of the) Coast-to-Coast walk across northern England.

A synopsis of this site:

“…our May/June trip to the UK. Briefly: we flew into Edinburgh and spent some time there with a friend, took the train to Newcastle to visit another friend, then took the train across to Carlisle to join a Sierra Club trip for a two-week walk across England on the ‘best parts’ of the Coast to Coast route from St. Bees on the Irish Sea to Robin Hood’s Bay on the North Sea. Then we spent a couple of hours in York before returning to Edinburgh, and then home (Colorado).”

You can use the index page to click on any of the segments of the author’s trip, but my favorite is the Coast-to-Coast walk from St. Bees (on the west coast) across Cumbria and Yorkshire and ending at Robin Hood’s Bay on the east coast of Yorkshire.

This is something that both Paul and I always wished we had tried to do – in our more youthful years, the Coast-to-Coast Walk.

It takes a lot of planning and concentration but it’s been done by so many people, even seniors, but now, at this stage in our lives, we can only make the trip vicariously through the journals of others.

So go ahead, join Ilana and Britt as they arrive in Edinburgh, Scotland, or jump in anywhere along the way in their wonderfully told and photographed trip to the UK last year. It’s a fun way to see a part of the world you might not ordinarily get to see.

For their collection of photographs of this trip at Flickr CLICK HERE.

For more information on the Coast-to-Coast (Wainwright) Walk, CLICK HERE, and for a Smithsonian article about this now-famous walk, CLICK HERE.

And a video of stills and video of one person’s own Coast to Coast Walk here:

Last but not least (and MY personal favourite!):

It’s tradition that you pick up a pebble on the beach at St. Bees and keep it with you and when you step onto the beach at Robin Hood’s Bay, you then deposit that pebble onto that east coast beach.

Enjoy!

It’s in every one of us to be wise;

Find your heart, open up both your eyes.

We can all know every thing without ever knowing why.

It’s in every one of us, by and bye.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

12 Responses to Shout Out Sunday No. 6 – A UK Trip to Remember

I love arm chair traveling with you Bex. What fun!

Well, most folks who go out for a day in the wet have “home” to come back to and warmth, hopefully. Walkers generally schedule B&B’s at each stop along the way and have a lovely evening there in front of a fire with some ale and pub food. I’d almost do the walk just for the pub food!!!

3. nina says:

Bex — I agree, so long as there is a warm shower and nice toasty blanket at the end of the day. I remember hiking on a wet wet day in Scotland and everything in the pack was wet and we were wet and Ed said — let’s put up a tent and I said — no! I want a warm shower and a place to dry out! It made the world of a difference.

One thing I’ve noticed (and love) about the British people is that a rainy, misty, foggy day doesn’t deter them from getting outside and enjoying the countryside one little iota. Oh yes, they love a sunny day, but there is so much of the dampness and wet in the UK, they have learned to thrive even in it and not to let it hamper their fun. Whenever we’ve been in England (and in Scotland), some of our most memorable days were in the wind and rain and fog and I wouldn’t have traded them for all the blue skies in the world.

190 miles! That’s ambitious! Like Nina, I’d be afraid of getting nasty weather. I don’t consider this kind of thing fun if I’m soaked and chilled for an extended period of time.

At this point about the best I’d do is maybe stretch things to one of the Rainbow Walks, where they splash you with a color of paint as you pass each check in. I think that’s about 3 miles, and some day I might attempt it.

6. Nina Camic says:

I’m glad I didn’t read this earlier in the week — I would have been tempted to put something like this in place. Solo. My one concern would be that I would get two or three weeks of rain. Still, Ed and I did a coast to coast walk in Scotland (it’s way shorter up there!) and it was grand!
    This summer, I’m going up to northern England/Scotland, but I’m staying with daily hikes. I’m a little traumatized by stray dog packs so I want to stay close to a home base. Thanks for the links!

7. I plan to watch these in installments – what visual treats!

My daughter runs a relay each year with a team of 4 women. It’s called the Hood to Coast, which routes from Mount Hood, OR to the coast. I find these long distance adventures fascinating. There was a time in my life that I had the Appalachia Trail on my Bucket List – no can do anymore. 🙂

8. Sandy From Iowa says:

WOW…I poke my head back in and more films to watch…will grab a cuppa and watch it before supper time ..thanks again

9. Sandy From Iowa says:

thanks for film…will watch it this afternoon .

You would love Yorkshire, TS. Somehow I just know you’d love it – especially on top of the North York moors… incredible place.

Sandy: Me too, to Whitby which will be my favourite town in all the world forever.

I added this to my entry in case anyone would like to view it:

as well as one more at the end which I preferred over the one above.

11. I need to re-order my bucket list!

12. Sandy From Iowa says:

WOW…Love it!
    Went right to index and than right to whitby 1st..wanted to see what photos she used.
    I will tour all around now …huge thanks