One Big-Mamma Log

The Reading Room today:

reading room

I should call it the Reading/Sitting/Music/Quiet Room, because it’s all that. The best part of this room now is that Paul has his very own chair! This may not sound like a LOT, but it is. Since we have lived here in this house, going on 28 years now, he has never had his very own chair to just sit in and read or close his eyes or look out the window and daydream… isn’t that sad?

We’ve also got the fireplace opened back up (remember those dark red curtains covering the whole fireplace wall?)

reading/dining room

I know the bricks inside the firebox area are horrendous, but that’s life. Not sure we are up to remedying that right now.

fireplace w/log and grate

Paul takes the dogs for walkies down the hill, back near the Salem Woods, and he noted that a white birch tree had fallen over in one of our recent wind storms and someone had come by and cut it up in order to move it off the roadway. So there were pieces of it all cut up and he got one for our fireplace. I ordered a wrought iron grate by mail and that came the other day. This will not be a working fireplace as the chimney is in bad shape and has a crack, and we are not fireplace people anyway – way too dirty and too much work for us geezers, but at least it’s there now to look at. Still don’t have a mantle yet but maybe some day…

100_1623

So now Paul has his own chair, the one nearest the bookshelves in the photo above… although I have been known to sit there myself and he takes the other one.

100_1602

And I have to say it’s been so nice to have this spot for us. The dogs aren’t sure about it yet. There is no bed for them to snuggle in here, there is no sofa for them to stretch out on either. Just the area rug in the center for them to lie on – leaving clumps of furs as usual. But they always gather there on the rug in front of us when we sit there together, usually at the end of the day, before suppertime rolls around.

100_1622

The other day I sat in there and listened, on the radio, to the entire opening day baseball game between the Boston Red Sox and the Baltimore Orioles (played in Baltimore) which we proceeded to lose, 2-1… however, we played again last night and evened up the score and won the game 6-2, so we are 1-1 for the year so far. Go Sox.

That’s it from here. Be good and stay safe.

It’s in every one of us to be wise;

Find your heart, open up both your eyes.

We can all know every thing without ever knowing why.

It’s in every one of us, by and bye.

~ John Denver & The Muppets ~

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

2014 Archives at JournalScape

16 Responses to One Big-Mamma Log

The puppies have the entire sofa in the living room if they want cushy accommodations… there is not enough room in this little reading room for floor cushions for them… we have to draw the line somewhere and this is a room for reading, for listening to beautiful music, and for contemplating our navels… besides, the dogs like to sit in front of the front door and gaze out at the garden and street… they have a dog bed in the living room, also, and the aforementioned sofa…

Very nice – but the puppies need some floor pillows!

3. What a nice place to go to be a Sox fan! The fight for chairs goes on here too!

4. Sandy in Chicago says:

Bex it’s beautiful! It’s looks like such a comfy, inviting room to sit and read or just do nothing. I’m glad you opened up the fireplace again.

Eric, I’m not surprised about Linda Ronstadt’s “Heart Like a Wheel” – she has Parkinson’s now and people are freaking out over it… her fans anyway… not wanting to lose her – she is a national treasure… I have most of her albums and love, love, love her to pieces. My favorite of hers (and Tina Turner’s version) is “Long Long Time.”

Anna – we listen to Len Cohen just about every day here… Paul playing it in the basement while he works on lobstering gear and me hearing it upstairs over anything I might have on TV – just ‘cuz… it’s Leonard after all and you can’t mask over that voice! We both love him to pieces.

6. Annanotbob3 says:

Lovely! Bet I like Len just as much as Paul x

7. If you need heat, there are always fireplace inserts, natural gas or propane, available. If heat isn’t an issue, the bricks are very attractive!

We must be weird here… neither one of us has “slippers” for our feet. We walk around in our shoes all the time, I wear rubber crocs and Paul always has his work shoes/boots on. Except, of course, if I have to get up at night because of pain and walk around the house in the dark, then I wear my bare feet but never slippers. We are the strange family…

9. Nina Camic says:

A song and a plate of cookies at the side? As for the dogs — they have your feet. Or slippers! And I join the crowd in liking the old bricks. Superb reading room!

By the way did you see this, Heart Like a Wheel added to National Recording Registry?:

11. Bonnie says:

Nice cozy room. Enjoy!

Yes, it’s good for a fireplace to look authentic. I guess I should congratulate you on the Red Sox getting a win. Alas the Yanks are still waiting.

13. Sandy Freel says:

Good way to get him in the room …tunes he likes.
    In time he will use it more…sometimes hard to break long time habits.
    I bet if that fireplace could talk it would tell tales of lovers laying in front of fire chatting about the life ahead of them …yes:-)

14. Such a great room you’ve created! And I’m with Sandy – I think the walls of the fireplace look fabulous – all scruffy and ancient and whispery secret stories. xo

Sandy, he still will automatically go up to his bedroom and sit on his bed to read, but if I see him going in that direction, I give him the “eye” and gesture for him to sit over in his reading chair for a bit, and he will sometimes do it… sometimes not. Old habits are hard to break but it’s getting better each day.

Yesterday I had a wonderful Leonard Cohen song playing on the CD player in there and that lured him in to his chair… he is the world’s biggest Leonard Cohen fan, I swear…

16. Sandy Freel says:

It just gets better and better every time you post new updates on the room.
    I myself like the fireplace walls being well used look .
    I always go for the old look in my home when ever I can do it.
    So glad you both are enjoying the room and happy now that Paul after all those years has his own chair ☺.