The Best Woman Won…

I am happy.

As a big fan of tennis, I am sitting here very happy, indeed, that the champion of the Ladies’ Wimbledon Championship Match is:

Petra Kvitova

2014 Wimbledon Ladies’ Champion

Read about it here.

I have to admit I had “put my money on” Ms. Eugenie Bouchard, the runner-up in this tournament. All the hype that swirled around Genie over this past year in tennis convinced me that she was up to the challenge. In the end, it was the more experienced Petra Kvitova, who hails from the Czech Republic, who showed just what she is made of – champion material!

Even though I had mentally bet on Genie Bouchard of Canada (I don’t actually gamble with real money!), I was rooting for Petra the whole time. I’ve always loved her as a tennis player but more importantly, I’ve always loved and respected her as a woman and human being. Her personality is fabulous. She is quite shy, actually, and she exudes a peaceful calmness that you don’t see much in big sports these days. All that pumping of the fists, beating of the breasts, screaming throughout the games… that all turns me right off. It seems more and more players are turning this lovely civilized sport into something more resembling a boxing match, or a football game. I don’t much like all that, and this is one reason I’ve always loved watching tennis… it is, or it SHOULD GO BACK TO BEING, a very civilized sport among civilized sportspeople.

Eugenie Bouchard, Canada

Wimbledon Runner-up 2014

So Genie Bouchard will just have to go back to the drawing board now and see where she went wrong, see what part of her game needs improving, etc. However, the one little thing that turned me from rooting for Genie Bouchard to rooting for the ultimate winner, Petra Kvitova, was personality. I thought Bouchard was up for this, and the way she has been hyping herself as well as being hyped by the ever-hyping media, we were to believe there was no stopping her. But the self-hype part of her persona these last two weeks was disturbing to me. Not blaringly disturbing, because I like a woman who believes in herself, but I also love humility in a woman OR a man, for that matter. Petra has humility. Genie does not, it seems.

During the award presentation ceremony, Bouchard was all sour-faced and miserable looking. She could barely manage the faintest smile at all, and it wasn’t the type of sadness I’ve seen on some players at losing where their eyes tear up and they are truly bereft. On Genie, it seemed more like she felt she had been entitled to this championship title – that somehow someone, other than herself, had snatched it away from her and she was more mad than sad. That’s just the feeling I got from her. Very lacking in humility. She had only a handful of words to say at the microphone. Didn’t she prepare a runner-up speech? I think not. I think she never even entertained the thought that she would be the runner-up. That may seem like self-confidence but it’s also a bit like self-absorption. If she had paid attention to the way in which Petra was playing on the other side of the net, she might have done better. As it was, Bouchard lost the championship at 6-3, 6-0, in less than 1 hour of play. Not the most thrilling match I’ve ever watched!

But I am happy for Petra. They showed Martina Navratilova in the stands wiping back the tears… she also is from the Czech Republic, and she has been a personal hero for Petra for many, many years. I am so happy for both women.

Congratulations Petra! Can’t wait for the U.S. Open tennis to begin now in late summer!

Cheers for the Ladies!

Bex-the-tennis-fan

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

2014 Archives at JournalScape

12 Responses to The Best Woman Won…

“…easily fixed with little expense.”

That’s a good one TT! Thanks for the laugh! I needed one…

Nothing to do with a boat has “little expense.” Costs $$ to haul it out, costs $$ to have someone look at it and diagnose the problem, costs $$ to have the engine hauled out with a huge backhoe thingy, costs $$ to have Hansen Marine take possession of the engine, diagnose it and repair it, costs $$ for parts, and costs more $$ to put it all back together again, and launch the boat back into the water. Not to mention that it costs $$ from lost work, no lobstering for all the days of inactivity.

It just all keeps adding up, cha-ching!

Good for them!! A community can often do more than a single person can!!

Sorry to hear about Paul’s boat. Hope it’s easily fixed and with little expense.

When it rains, it pours.

Paul’s boat is sick. He has had to haul it out of the water today and pull the engine out, bring it to the repair place, and see what’s wrong.

Turns out that at least 3 or 4 other lobstermen got “hit” by the b’stards – so they are going to get together at some point and see if they can work out something like a webcam set up so the thieves will be filmed in the act next time. I wouldn’t put my money on this plan, but they are all pretty darn angry about all losing crates of lobsters.

When it rains, it pours. Paul’s both is sick. He has had to haul it out of the water today and pull the engine out, bring it to the repair place, and see what’s wrong.

Turns out that at least 3 or 4 other lobstermen got “hit” by the bastards – so they are going to get together at some point and see if they can work out something like a webcam set up so the thieves will be filmed in the act next time. I wouldn’t put my money on this plan, but they are all pretty darn angry about all losing crates of lobsters.

Makes you wonder where people go to sell their ill-gotten lobsters, doesn’t?

6. sandy freel says:

wow….glad she won….
    BIGGER WOW on the update you found about stolen lobbies…such a sad world we live in that folks have to take from those that work so hard and they get the $$$ from the haul they make from another person who worked hard to get them to shore…I am spitting mad this happened to your Paul…he is such a good honest man

7. Karen G. DiCicco says:

I remember the days you would pull up to
    A stand/tank, and you paid for what you took. What a shame people have become so
    rotten as to steal someone else’s hard work!

…but at what price, TT? Can you imagine the rate he would have to pay for lobsters that may or may not have been caught? Hey, I’ll read your comments to him, but I have no doubt that it’s been considered and rejected in the past.

UPDATE:
    Just found this on a google search HERE.

“Owners of a family-run lobster pound in southwestern Nova Scotia are steaming after thieves made off with nearly 550 kilograms of their product.

The theft targeting Huskins Fishery in Barrington, a small community southeast of Yarmouth, was the latest in a string of incidents affecting the area, said Louis Huskins.

�As times get harder you�ll see more of it,� he said. �It�s getting worse.�

Mr. Huskins discovered the theft, which was not made public until Friday, when he arrived for work Jan. 20.

He speculates that it happened between a fisherman leaving at 3 a.m. that day and the sun rising around 6 a.m. Thieves broke into several buildings before finding the lobster storage. They stole about 165 kilograms of extra-big lobster stored in crates and hauled the rest from a tank locked inside a building.

�I found these empty crates,� Mr. Huskins said. �They dumped [the lobsters] into something. Police figure they dumped them into the trunk of a car, because [we�d] be looking for a truck.�

The area�s RCMP are investigating but could not immediately be reached for comment.

Mr. Huskins, who runs the business with his father, said only the scale of the theft prompted them to call police. He said that paying the deductible and higher insurance rates can make it not worth reporting smaller thefts that he characterized as common in the industry.

The value of the stolen lobster was pegged at about $6,200. Mr. Huskins said that while the loss is relatively small compared to their overall revenues, it still hurts.

�It�s big money when you look at what you�re paying per pound,� he said. �And it�s gone.�

Mr. Huskins acknowledged that proving ownership of lobsters can be difficult unless thieves are caught in the act.

He encourages potential buyers looking to snap up a good deal to consider whether their vendors have a lobster license. If not, buyers should be sure to ask where the sellers might have got the crustaceans.”

Iwas thinking that if Paul took pictures of the cages and had a copy of the day’s newspaper in the pic, that would prove what he had and when.

Since this has happened to him and others, it might be time for Paul to talk to his insurance agent to see what kind of coverage might be available and how he would prove loss. I would think that just about any business would have difficulty proving loss beyond what “the books” list as their inventory, so there must be an acceptable way to prove it.

*hug*

10. T.S. says:

Hi Bex!

Just checking in. Sorry to hear about the stolen lobsters!

T.S.

TT:
    1) Yes.
    2) No.

He has insurance to cover his boat only, not his lobsters. I don’t even know if there is such insurance available. I would imagine it is very hard to actually prove you HAD the lobsters to start with. No photos, no documentation really except what he writes down. Too easy to make it all up so I can’t believe any insurance company would insure that.

I’m not a tennis fan, though I do appreciate the humble athlete. Instead, I have questions from yesterday’s blog.

Bex, did Paul report his stolen lobsters to the police? And does he have insurance to cover the loss?