In an English-style Country Garden

Gardening.

Sometimes a blog entry overwhelms me. I have a lot to say but also love to intersperse photos in the text. Well, it all takes so long to do, unless I have a short little entry, so today, rather than sit here for hours on end trying to find just the right photos for you, and doing all the editing work required, I am putting in a slideshow of the Gardening album I have at PhotoBucket. (Ha! I went ahead and put in some of the photos anyway!) So have a look if you’ve got a few minutes. I took the first 68 photos in the slideshow this morning, mainly to show our new plant additions to the garden.

Hit the stop button in the lower left if you want to read first and then do the slideshow.

You can come back here after reading the rest of this entry if you like.

Yesterday was a big day for me personally. Yesterday I left “the hill” that is my home and went out into the real work-a-day world that is Salem and shopped for plants at Home Depot with Paul.

It was a project just to get there. We have to take my walker that has a seat on it so I can travel around the plant rows and sit down when I need to. Also, we had to bring the step-stool so I could get UP into his big truck!

But we did it. The day was beautiful, a #10 actually, so I didn’t get too hot except after being out in the full sun for about an hour choosing plants. But I was “choosing plants” and Paul was paying for them, so I couldn’t complain!

I went there looking for rose bushes. After we took out the giant burning bushes in the front inner corner garden, and then we took out those overgrown forsythia bushes that were just the other side of the stone wall on the driveway side, well, that garden needed something.

I’ve wanted a nice rose bush for a long time. I don’t want, however, one that requires a lot of maintenance. A low-maintenance rose. Well, I have no idea if I found those or not. But we landed at Home Depot on a day when they had a handful of rose bushes left and they were marked down 50%, so we got 5 of them.

Here they are below, four of them along the wall area:

They are only about 12-15 inches high still but I have faith…

The fifth one we planted over by the corner fence area where the dogs always go to bark at whoever is walking by, it’s behind the little wire fence (to protect it) to the left of the concrete seat:

A wider view:

Inside the interior corner garden, new plant is the yellow coriopsis (?) which is a nice pop of brightness:

and the other threadleaf coreopsis:

I like to buy two of everything!

Here are two more, the purple (verbena ‘lollipop’ and orange flowering plant the name of which escapes me at the moment.

Wider view showing the roses along the back borderline

I moved the bird bath from out front under the crabapple tree to this garden nook. I’ve seen birds in it a lot so I think they like it here.

I plan to spruce it up a bit, I need to clean it out good and I may put it up on some pots – not sure yet.

You can see below where the forsythia used to live, beyond the little stone wall, that we dug up and replanted a good sized sedum plant (we have lots of those around) and put it where Paul dug out the roots from the forsythia bushes.

A wider view of the whole thing. We put the little wire fence to keep the dogs out of this garden. They were heading right for it each day and even doing their business in there… it is NOT a doggy-loo! So they can just look but not enter…

The End. Literally!

The gardener – Paul, taken yesterday when he was installing all these plants. Eight flowering plants and five rose bushes.

He also moved some stuff that was being crowded out in the front corner garden – wow, a lot of weeding needs to be done out there!

The clematis are blooming but they are not great. I have ordered some morning glory seeds, multicolor ones, that I plan to plant all along this fence that cuts the front yard in half, inside for dogs, outside for grass and plants, so maybe next year I’ll have some morning glories to show you!

And the very front garden that Paul made a couple or three years ago…it’s doing pretty well out there.

Lastly, a look back at my helpers/assistants/loyal buddies – my beautiful Emmalee and Kip – keeping guard over everything and everyone!

Cheers for Gardens!

Bex & Co.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

2014 Archives at JournalScape

11 Responses to In an English-style Country Garden

Today is apparently gardening day on journalscape, DH and I were also doing both a garden wall and althea (rose of sharon). He took pics so I hope to have some during and after pics for you over on my blog real soon.

Hmmmm… wonder if he has some pics of our new rosebush, too?

Anyhow, your garden always looks so incredible. I hope someday ours will look half as good.

That’s a lot of gardening you have going on there. And those new plants will need to be nursed through infancy like babies, but luckily not for quite as long. Now, for a while, you actually want some rain! Sure does look nice though.

Hi Reens! Thanks, but it’s all due to Paul’s hard work. I think things up but he implements my ideas, if he has time or if he feels so inclined.

4. Everything look so beautiful. What ambition you have! Any gardening for me is a fond memory. I water 4 ferns every day and let Mother Nature do the rest! Everything looks so very very beautiful, Bex. xo

Bonnie, if you look at this picture closely, you will see the hose – it attaches under the windows over by the oil fill pipes, and I’ve got it draped over the railing on the porch.

Click on photo for larger version. It’s only a 50-foot hose but if you spray it right, it can reach the farthest plants out front by the street. Sort of.

6. Bonnie says:

At least you know how to do a slideshow!

I saw no hoses so how do you get water in the bird bath? 🙂

Nice yard.

7. Thank you for sharing your garden Bex! The first “project” Attila and I tackled together, while we were still “dating”, was to plant morning glories. I have carried those morning glory seeds around through three moves, and planted them on arrival at each new home. But, they did not grow here in the bush. Which prompts me to think I must get them out and plant them at our little house in the city, I hope the seeds are still viable after ten years, asking a lot of the universe.

The news on the lobstering front will be for another entry, but suffice it to say, Karen, that he is “on vacation” this week – a forced involuntary vacation – maybe later this week his boat will be back in operation but he can get back out there on the water doing what he loves to do — pulling those bugs up from the depths of the sea.

9. Karen DiCicco says:

I too took my walker with the seat and basket, because I wanted to go to the Sidewalk sales in my village. Brought back memories of working around town. I had no one to go with so had to take out and put back my walker myself. I am paying the price today.
    I have a number of clematis and love the deep purple ones. I too love Morning Glories but don’t seem to have much luck growing them. John planted some more for me so will hope these do well.
    My two doggies don’t have a fence in our yard, just a fenced dog run. They can go out with us one at a time but two is too hard to watch for only one person.
    Hope the Lobsters are coming in for Paul.

10. l'empress says:

Lovely flowers! We had three or four different kinds of roses when I was a kid — my favorite flower — and as far as I knew, Dad never did any maintenance beyond removing a sprig that grew out of place.

My Middle Daughter bought me a beautiful yellow bush, with instructions. I followed the instructions carefully, but I only got two seasons out of it. Must have been one of those weak, fragile varieties — or just my brown thumb.

11. sandy freel says:

WOW…that is a load of photos…glad there was a stop button so I could go refill my java fix.
    Great photos you did for us…Nice that Paul let you film his End …hehe