A Word or Two of Warning to the Wise

This blog entry is for The Universe. Specifically, the Universe that cares about keeping TV viewers tuned in to their stations. More specifically, CNN and Time Warner. This is for YOU!

I’ve just heard this story about 21st Century Fox offering to buy Time Warner (click here for story).

I am a faithful viewer of CNN. Just so you know which side of the fence I’m on. I am NOT a faithful nor any KIND of viewer of Fox in any incarnation whatsoever. The right-wing nutzkies at that organization are off-limits to my television set, and if my television set happens to land on the Fox News channel at all, purely by mistake, I fumble around for the remote to quickly move on to another station. No Fox-anything is allowed in this house. At least not on MY television.

So to the Universe out there, I just want to inform you that should a deal be reached between Fox and Time Warner, and my favorite news station, CNN, is bought out by that take-over mogul Mr. Murdoch, then I will reluctantly but decidedly have to abandon my viewership of CNN forever, or until the deal is reversed or a new deal is reached with some other mogul, anyone other than one that is in any way related to Fox.

So if Time Warner caves and sells to Fox, they have lost my viewership – plain and simple.

Just wanted to get that off my chest this morning.

We are in a storm watch here. A day of rain, thunder, lightning, basically all sorts of sky-related happenings, is in store – and wouldn’t you know it? Today is the day Paul plans to get his engine back from the repair shop and put it back in his boat and have his boat put back in the water, all the while a crazy storm is hovering over us here.

I warned him not to go out on the water if we are having thunder/lightning. How many times have I asked him not to do this? Hundreds. Literally. Does he EVER pay me any mind? No. He is a stubborn Yankee lobsterman who is not afraid of a little rain, a little thunder, or a little lightning.

I, on the other hand, at the first crack of the bolt, will be down in the basement, sitting in my old broken-down recliner chair that I’ve saved just for this purpose, with my two dogs and my flashlight, waiting for whatever may befall us. And since it’s gotten really dark here in the last 15 minutes, and I have heard the thunder off in the distance already, I am going to unplug my computer now and wait for it.

Have a good day everyone… and just to reiterate the purpose of this entry…

TIME WARNER – I AM WARNING YOU – DO NOT BE BOUGHT OUT BY NASTINESS THAT IS CALLED FOX-ANYTHING, PLEASE – OR YOU WILL HAVE LOST A VERY REGULAR AND FAITHFUL VIEWER HERE.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

2014 Archives at JournalScape

8 Responses to A Word or Two of Warning to the Wise

I have to say I never considered tornadoes to be possible around here but these last two summers, there have been several touch down and not too far from where we live! So they are encroaching on our “safe” New England area now-a-days. I just saw on the news last night that the storm the other night did loads of damage to towns around here, north of us a bit, ripping up trees and creating a large swath of damage. Not just an average thunder & lightning storm. I’m just grateful I have a basement to go to! I find it hard to believe people who live in tornado country don’t have any basements sometimes… I need a basement!!!

Maggie, I lived only about 20 minutes away from where Bex lives on the coast of Massachusetts. Tornadoes are *much* more likely in Ontario than they are where she lives.

To quote the tornado history boards “Based on Historical data Salem, Massachusetts in in a Very Low Risk area.”

3. Bex, when thunder and lightening appear it is always possible that much worse can suddenly develop. Sounds like a nice setup in the basement, peace of mind is worth the short trip.

4. Bonnie says:

The article said Time Warner REJECTED the offer. Whatever happened to Cox buyout of TW? Boy ya can’t keep up. TW has their own news station now. Haven’t watched it yet. Getting where I think too much ‘news’ abounds.

Paul listen to your wife! lol

5. sandy freel says:

I dont have tv so i cant say much but will hope they dont buy it .

I’ve never been sure why Fox is allowed to get away with a steady stream of outright lies. You’d think, in a sane world, the FCC would take their license away. After all, the airways belong to the public not to the Republican party. Luckily I don’t watch television, however, I refuse to ever read a news story from Fox. And why would anyone looking for news do so? Fox has nothing whatsoever to do with news. It’s Pravda.

Bex, I’m not so sure that Fox could buy Time Warner. I’m sure both the Federal Communication Commission (FCC) and the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) would have a lot to say about that. Not only would Fox have too much control over communications within the country, which the FCC wouldn’t like, but they’d also have a high monopoly in many areas, which the FTC wouldn’t like.

It’ll be interesting to see what happens with that but I wouldn’t worry about any changes in the near future.

As to the storms, lightning isn’t going to hurt you sitting in your house as long as your windows are closed and you’re not using the water or any plugged in electrical gadgets, so you really don’t have to go sit down in your basement. (Although I will admit that when there’s violent lightning happening every few seconds it’s frightening, even though you know it can’t reach you. Fortunately, those kinds of storms don’t happen all that often.)

8. l'empress says:

I used to think that CNN was a wonderful idea, all the news whenever you needed it. But I have caught them more than once in the current bogmire of journalism, reporting to be first without making sure it is correct. It’s almost as bad as Fox, which reports the news only as Fox sees it — one eye only.