I Knew This Would Happen…

I had joined Facebook a while ago but it overwhelmed me and I quit it. I’ve been happily NOT on FB or Twitter, or any of the social media stuff all this time, just using my blog here for socializing. The audience for blogs is shrinking, I see. I don’t mind that. I only have a handful or two of readers here, and I am not hungry for a huge number of followers… to the contrary, in fact, I like a small close-knit group like we have here at JournalScape and similar blogs that are represented here. I like you, my friends, and don’t much care to expand.

That said… I rejoined FB recently, as some of you who are now my “friends” have figured out. It’s something new for me – not new new, but different new. And here is the reason for the title of this blog today… “I Knew This Would Happen!”

I knew if I ever went back on FB, all my time would be spent fiddling around in there.

And I was right.

Even though I’m retired now and have my days all to myself (which, by the bye, is pure Heaven to me!), I find the hours zipping by at an alarming rate of speed. I try to sleep in as late as possible, but pain usually wins out and gets me out of bed by 6 or 7 or 8 each day. Before I know it, it’s noontime or after! I’ve been online visiting my usual haunts, blogs, emails, news sites, and now… FaceBooks! It all takes time.

I’ve been trying to watch the golf tournament today. My new sports hero, Rory McIlroy, started out slow on Day 1 (yesterday) but today he has inched his way back to 8 under par… he may be one of the leaders, I’m not sure (he IS the leader! for now anyway) – and the reason I wasn’t sure was BECAUSE I’VE BEEN IN FB ALL THIS TIME DARTING BACK AND FORTH among my new friends and relations… and not paying attention to the golf on TV. I just happened to glace at the TV and it showed Rory was -8 which is fabulous! I have the volume on MUTE so I don’t know the details… I can only hope that when I get out of the blog in a minute here, and I put away my laptop and get up and move around, that I will be away from this for a while in order to get a couple of things done around here.

Like have some food! I haven’t had anything but my first cuppa all day.

Bye for now and cheers,

Bex-the-Newbie-Facebook-Fiend

Join me on

FaceBook

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

2014 Archives at JournalScape

18 Responses to I Knew This Would Happen…

1. Elder says:

It’s me, Bex. Ava South. You have inspired me to start up a journal again. We’ll see how it goes. I love your posts and think of you as an old friend.

2. nina says:

To Irene: you actually sound like a super cool friend to have on FB.
    To Bex: we should be FB friends! After all, we’re already blog friends!

I’m on my way over there now Reens… thanks! 😉

4. I have two FB accounts. The first account I rarely go to – I became giddy with the fun of it and ended up being friends with a bazillion people – some I barely knew. My new account, which I’ve had for several years, is still larger than I prefer, but I’ve discovered that most people rarely post – and are lurkers, peepers. That creeps me out, but I ignore the fetish. My own children are peepers, for goodness sakes! I like FB because of the dialog created with friends. In all ways my life is one of isolation so the connect is good for me. I’ve learned to ignore politics as best possible. My politics are moderate so everyone annoys me and if I were to vomit my politics all over cyberspace, I’d annoy everyone, as well. I also share my JS links on FB. People seem to enjoy that. I have some friends who are on FB most the day – or so it seems. I pop in and out. If you want another friend, I’m Irene Lewisy Bean on FB. (People are going to think I’m in Witness Protection because I use so many names.)

P.S. BTW, yesterday your name popped up on my FB screen – suggesting we become *friends*. At the time, I thought surely it must be another Bex. :))

Some good observations Nina… thanks. Now back to the golf (my new fave sport to watch).

6. nina says:

I dont find that reading FB takes that much time. (Myself, I only post about a dozen times in a year year, but I enjoy following others.) Like some of you, I only keep a few ‘friends’ actively open and so glancing at their newsfeed is rather fun: their entries are brief and they show a lot of personalities, plus a few photos. So maybe 10 – 15 minutes a day? Like so many of you, I’ve become less social since retirement and like you, Bex, I hate the phone and only talk to daughters for pleasure and even that is very infrequent. So blogs and FB are my way of looking in on others. I consider it time well spent!

7. ava south says:

I do spend a lot of time on FB and I like to play some of the games there. Not too many good blogs out there anymore now I can read yours.

Bonnie, I am going to try very hard to keep politics out of my blog. I don’t even follow it anymore except for news on CNN but when it gets political, I turn it OFF. Cannot stand any of the parties anymore. There is so much in the world to concentrate on that is good for us and politics just isn’t one of those things for me these days.

9. Bonnie says:

Thank you for the invite to fb but I’d rather read here. I do have an acct. but just haven’t caught on how to do stuff there. I don’t play games. Some of my old readers are over there and now don’t read my journal. lol

I miss a lot of people from blog/journal times.

btw as political season heats up I may unsub again. I hate politics there, it affects how I feel about some friends.

10. Stephanie says:

I’m retired too, but I don’t spend nearly as much time on FaceBook as I did when I was still working. The novelty does wear off, but it’s still good for connecting with people I wouldn’t otherwise get to interact with – like you!

TT… I unchecked everything I could uncheck in the notifications page… so I’m good to go there. And I don’t ever play games either on my computer or on the internet so no chance of that. And if anything costs me a red cent, I’m outta there quick-as-a-bunny!

Yeah…. Rosemary, did I mention MY book? That too! It’s right here, not 6 inches from my hands… waiting for me to scoop it up, settle into my big recliner, and read the afternoon away… which I think I’ll DO!

(I’ll just keep the golf on but muted…)

…just as soon as I go check my REAL mailbox which just got delivered of mail this very minute! We are always checking something….

I find the best way to control FB is to limit your friends to a choice few, including family, and then don’t Follow the talkative ones. Unsubscribe their newsfeed. I get overwhelmed if I don’t. So, I unsubscribe from the newsfeed of the talkers and check on them about once a week by clicking on their pages.

I also have never gotten into games on FB. FB wants to herd you into something you’ll pay money for, and I’m not willing to pay them. Instead, I find free games out on the internet and enjoy playing those.

14. Rosemary says:

Oh, do II agree, Bex. Find I am using up so much time checking FB, e-mails, blogs not to mention playing Scrabble etc. Had just been thinking I needed to stop this trend of looking up and seeing how much time has passed by! Making a conscious effort to pick up my book more, do other things and just stop checking all the time. Wonder though, what will I miss……..lol

I know just what you are saying, Betty Lou, Sandy, and Eric. I have resisted and am still resisting, I don’t have a smart phone. I gave my little flip/mobile phone to Paul to have on the boat, so I only have access to my old fashioned land-line phone here. I hate talking on the phone so I let the machine pick it up, as my personal servant, so if you call me, plan on leaving a message!

Yes, FB does eat up time. I’ve closed it up for today and am just here to check on my blog and emails and then back to Golf. Rory is struggling to keep the lead, in fact, he is sharing the lead now with Brian Palmer. Heh, I can’t believe I even know the name of a golfer who isn’t Rory!

Who says you can’t teach an old canine new tricks?

We’ll just see how this FB thing goes. First sign of trouble, and I won’t hesitate to skeedaddle!

I really should get back to my journalscape blog but I’ve just been out of ideas. As for Twitter, I was talked into starting an account but didn’t find it useful except for following a few feeds. So it’s sitting there idle. Theoretically I might be able to work at doing some tweeting but it is amazing how Internet stuff eats up time. Again and again people insist I should join FB because that’s where all the action is but I just don’t like their privacy policies (or lack thereof) or the whole “friending” aspect, and also I’m afraid it would consume too much time and effort. So far I have resisted.However, we are at an age when we are supposed to be able to do what we want. So for those who enjoy FB more power to them.

17. sandy freel says:

Facebook is my way to stay in touch with all family..i do enjoy it and maybe in time you will also.
    Nice you put blog in it…many more can enjoy your words

18. Betty Lou says:

Hi, Bex – Like you, I have all day to do what I want. However, when I get up around 6:00 or 7:00 A.M., shower & dress, I fix coffee & toast, sit at the computer desk to eat it, and spend the rest of the morning reading everything, including Facebook, until 1:00 P.M. when I fix lunch and sit down to watch TV. Very exciting days !!!!! If it wasn’t for phone calls, and occasional visitors, I wouldn’t think about anything else. After raising kids, and working all my life, I never thought my life would come to this boring state. But I can’t complain – I’m still here in mind and most of my body. (Back & legs don’t work so good.) So I do know how you feel.