What’s The Buzz? Tell Me What’s A-Happenin’

I need one less (or two or three!) interests in my life. I live at home almost all the time. But the world is at my fingertips here, thanks to the world-wide-web, and it’s here that my mind fills to bursting with ideas, with images, with opinions, with travel, with friendships, with family relations both alive and long-departed, with sports of many types, with laughter and with sorrow, with art of many kinds, with eye-candy that is non-fattening, with the highs and lows of rooting for a golfer or a tennis player or a baseball player to win their games, with foods and how to prepare them, with diaries and journals that are better than any published books I could buy, with beloved pets, especially dogs that make me want to go over and hug my own two furry coinhabitants here…

All this I have at my fingertips, and it seems that every single day I must touch on most if not all of those listed above, and more that I haven’t thought of! More. There is always more, more, more to read about, to linger on, to engage in, to admire and to ponder.

For these reasons, I have been, once again, neglectful of writing my own blog, so this is just a quick explanation of why.

I did spend quite a long time yesterday preparing an entry at my “other” blog, entitled “Hawthorne’s Way with Words.” I am tending to enjoy doing those more than my Thoughts from Crow Cottage blog recently. I’ve been doing a lot more reading in real books of late, as well, and that eats up good portions of the days, and a lot of that reading relates to Hawthorne and also to some ancestral topics I’ve landed on.

Another time-consuming project I found myself embroiled in recently was my family tree construction – my maternal side of the tree – in which I tracked all direct links from my mother to as far back as the late 600’s in Norway to a very, very distant relative named Heytir Heytsson, born in 680 a.d. in Romsdalen, Rauma, More og Romsdal, Norway, and died in Rauma, More og Romsdal (or Raumsdal), Norway, date unknown. Yes, I traced every generation from my own mother, born in 1925, back to a Norwegian ancestor, “Heytir Heytsson” who was apparently born in 680 a.d.

That project took me two whole days to organize. I am still double and triple checking that tree but I needed a little break from it all!

So it’s now back to the tennis match, and as usual my lady is not the winning one – yet. She was ahead 3-0 and then blew that whole lead to lose the 1st set 6-4. Makes me want to turn it off and go read a book!

Until next time, cheers!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Check out my other blog, “From the Hawthorne Tree”

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Pages from the American Notebooks, Nathaniel Hawthorne

Passages from Hawthorne’s English Notebooks

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

2014 Archives at JournalScape

10 Responses to What’s The Buzz? Tell Me What’s A-Happenin’

1. Thanks for the link Bex, I forgot to thank you…

Since I have ancestors in both Canada and the US, I’ve been active both on ancestry.com and ancestry.ca. I’ve also noticed the same fatal flaw that L’Empress did with not being able to re-access an old account easily. Even worse, once ancestry put in recognition based on where your service provider is, they started trying to ship me to ancestry.ca when I didn’t want to go there.

All the same, I got a LOT of useful information from ancestry.com. They helped me trace my family back through the 1600’s, at least. They also helped me find two lost family members: a cousin and also the widower of my half-sister. Without ancestry, they never would have found me.

That said, it is sometimes very hard to work within ancestry’s current limitations. It didn’t use to be that way. It use to be that you could access everything just by registering with a free subscription – but as is the way of the world, nothing stays free forever. Sooner or later a company needs to turn a profit.

A couple of years ago I found WikiTree. WikiTree is free and it has huge amounts of information. I suggest that anyone interested in genealogy venture over to http://www.wikitree.com/ and give them a try.

Here is that blog entry of L’Empress about ancestry.com for anyone who wants to read it.

4. Wow Bex, I don’t know anybody who has traced their family history back that far. That amazes me.

Someone did ours but I forget how far back it went. I will have to check now because I am curious. I just briefly checked and it looks on my mother’s side of the family it goes back as far as 1677 and my father’s 1799.

Gosh, I just unearthed a huge notebook I am now going to have to go through (thanks a lot! :). My paternal Grandfather’s journal notes are in there and they are filled with N.Y. history. I also noticed some of my father’s childhood drawings that need to be framed. They are 100 years old….surprised they held up.

I’empress can you post the link to your rant about ancestry.com ? I know several people who have used that site. I tried to find it at your blog but couldn’t. Thanks.

Harriet, I don’t just use ancestor-dot-com, I used lots of other places including rootsweb I think it’s called. I don’t pay for any of it. Also if you search enough you can find people in your family tree that have whole blogs devoted to adding to the family tree.

I think the reason I had such good luck was that my ancestors were all men (keeping the same name back to the 1600s) who came over here from England and the original one to emigrate here was Sir Roger Lord of Washbourne (the Washburn family) so he was a mucky-muck. It’s easier to trace a mucky-muck family because more people have been doing it for that family probably.

If anyone here wants to get notified when I update my Hawthorne blog, just go here:

and fill in the box with your email addy and when you get the confirmation email, just click on the link provided.

It’s pretty amazing to be able to trace your family back over 1,000 years. My family I can trace back to…well…to the 1800s when they arrived the the US from different parts of Germany, I guess.

It’s good to have projects beyond a journal. Right now Mary and I are working on another Byzantine mystery, along with planning for two different sorts of books. To be honest, I think what I make up is more interesting than my ramblings about myself.

8. Karen DiCicco says:

How do I subscribe to your posts?

9. That is quite a genealogical journey Bex! My family records are buried in archives overseas, not affordably accessible, some destroyed, so I may or may not get any further back than I have so far, which takes me back only to the 1770s, with documentation from primary sources, birth, marriage, death, wills, censuses etc.

10. l'empress says:

I don’t ever expect to be that successful in family research, knowing that many of my ancestors were victims to the Nazis, the Cossacks, or the Romanian soldiers. However, did you read my recent rant regarding ancestry.com and its flaws?

It’s on my journal, of course, but I also published it on FB, so the whole world can find out.