Sweet, Sweet December

YE OLDE PEPPER CANDY COMPANIE, Salem, MA

Click here for short video of Ye Olde Pepper Candy Companie

Sweets for the sweet, or you, my sweet readers. This is a fun place and, also, a historic place located, where else than in historic downtown Salem, Massachusetts. No, I am not a paid advertiser, but I do heartily recommend this shop to anyone and everyone who happens to find him/herself floating around downtown Salem, MA, and now online visitors, as well.

I was emailing earlier today with a friend who grew up with me in Marblehead and who now lives in North Carolina, Lois. She was mentioning that she hasn’t started her Christmas candy-making yet and it’s starting to get late and she hoped she would have time because she does it every year for her family and friends.

That got me to thinking/remembering about this special candy shop in Salem and when I looked it up, I discovered a couple of fun web sites that I wanted to share.

First, we have the home page of Ye Olde Pepper Candy Companie, located in downtown Salem at 122 Derby Street, just across the street from the famous House of the Seven Gables. (You can park in the lot across the street because the Seven Gables has an arrangement with the Candy Companie to share the parking lot.)

Their Facebook page.

As if their web site weren’t enough fun, I learned that they have a mail order service now! Great for people who can’t get out and down there in person!

I can tell you that the candies these people make there in their little shop are the best anywhere! Bar none.

Here’s a little history of their most famous candy, the Gibralter.

If you click on their links, you will find this page of Media and that is where I stumbled onto another really super web site called:

The Distracted Wanderer.com. This particular page of their site is a tour of the subject Candy Companie… and what a page it is. Pictures galore, and pictures glorious!

It makes me seriously want to brave the traffic and the elements (we are having yet ANOTHER Nor’Easter here this week!) and go down there myself, with checkbook in hand, and just scoop up some of their delights.

It turns out that Oprah found out about this place when someone gave her a sample “turtle” chocolate candy, and she went nuts over it. When Oprah speaks, people listen! This shop made her annual “O List” one year.

And last but not least, here is a lovely little blog called Healthy & Nutritionally Sweet (“Surprise in Salem, MA”) with mention and photos of this candy company and environs. (I have just subscribed to this site so hope to read more from Sabrina!).

Ye Olde Pepper Candy Companie, 122 Derby St., Salem, MA

The “turtles” that are Oprah’s favorite candy.

I’m thinking I might just have a look-see in their mail-order section. A little sweet treat for someone special.

“Prejudices, it is well known, are most difficult to eradicate from the heart whose soil has never been loosened or fertilized by education.”

~~ Charlotte Bronte ~~

2014 Archives at JournalScape

10 Responses to Sweet, Sweet December

1. Dia says:

Year ’round my patients enjoy Red Bird peppermint puffs(http://www.piedmontcandy.com/) and they’re always well received. When we get an order in it smells heavenly – all peppermint oil and sugar. And even when we’re fishing the last few out of the bag, they’re still so aromatic and appealing.

Oops – need to go pull pins – thanks for the candy blog!

xoxox

Almost time for DH and I to make our annual trip to the Bulk Barn to get the Christmas candies we set out during the holidays. I really look forward to that since we almost never have candy in the house, just small amounts for the various candy-based holidays.

We have threats of anywhere from 1 inch to about 10 inches of snow, here. The various weather groups can’t agree on how much.

3. Ribbon candy and gum drops (tree) were always at the house over the holidays.

4. Irene Bean says:

Turtles! A favorite with ingredients I really enjoy. Again, your research is impressive.

Oddly, my home has never been much of a candy place except for dinner parties and I’ll put teeny-tiny bowls of M&Ms around the table. I do remember my mother (a Massachusetts native) purchasing ribbon candy for our holidays.

Rebekah – what did you buy? I’m still mulling over buying something from them. I can remember I bought sugar-free peanut butter cups one year and brought them to a baby shower and the women tasted them one by one and went nuts over them. Couldn’t believe how good they were. That box of mix chocolates is calling me…

6. Rebekah says:

Via Harriet today. Almost missed this.

I hope they give you a commission for the purchase I’m about to make.

7. sandy freel says:

Oh yum…I remember the box of candy you got while I was staying with you….YUM

And we ARE getting it now! A whopper of a storm is raging here. I need to make cornbread to go with our potato vegetable soup leftover from last night. I don’t have a really good recipe, but I’m hoping I have some Jiffy cornbread mixes in the drawer!

9. crochetlady says:

Your nor’easter is leaving us with lots of rain down here in DC. DH and I looked at weather map last night and went oops, MA is going to get it. Stay warm and dry. Good cookie baking weather though!

10. Bex, They look delicious. Especially the fudge and peppermint patties. I could not find a source for ingredients though. I stay away from corn syrup and have yet to find a made candy that did not use it. That is why I liked the recipe we used for the fudge. Thanks for posting. Very tempting…..