Brother’s Home! !

Paul is home!

No, he’s not my brother, but he’s the dogs’ “brother” – or rather that is how he has always referred to himself vis a vis his various dogs over the years. He does not consider himself a “master” per se, but more of an equal in the household, their “brother.”

It’s actually kind of funny, too, when I call the dogs in from outside and I say “C’mon! Come see BROTHER!” and I’ve always wondered what some of the neighbors must think of us – are we brother and sister or man and wife?

But we just got home. Yes, I went out in MY car and I picked him up at the hospital. I haven’t driven in many months, and it was rather a challenge getting my crippled old body parts into that big hunk of metal I call my car, or my Podd. Plus, it’s snowing here now!

Here’s the scoop:

If anyone hasn’t heard by now, yesterday morning, at about 5:30 am, Paul woke me saying I should maybe call the hospital, he was feeling awful. His whole body was in a sweat. He had taken the dogs downstairs to go out to do their first morning pees and, while standing just inside the door, he just fell down. He says he didn’t pass out, but then the feelings of being very cold and sweating were worrying, so I called 911; you all probably know the routine from there.

Pretty darn soon, within 5 minutes, this little cottage was filled to brimming with huge dark-blue-uniformed EMTs and one policeman. He stayed with me and the EMTs went up to Paul who was in his bed. After about a half hour of them checking him over, (I had to lock the dogs in my other bedroom the whole time), they said they were taking him to the hospital, in a “chair stretcher” thing… as he could sit up OK.

And off they went after about 15 minutes of maneuvering him down those steep stairs and through the house and out the side porch, down to the driveway.

I stayed home.

And now that he’s home, to tell the truth, I still don’t know what happened, and neither does he. He saw NO doctor other than the ER doctor. He is on the phone now with his GP to set up an appointment within the next few days to have a Holter Monitor put on him.

It was a nerve-wracking experience for us both! I couldn’t do anything, the dogs were extremely morose the whole time he was gone, as was I. It was so depressing around here with just us three! We need our “brother”/”husband”/”best friend.”

That’s it for now. He had a “syncopal episode.” That’s all they wrote! No new meds, either. Weird.

Cheers for all being home again!

Bex & Family

“Prejudices, it is well known, are most difficult to eradicate from the heart whose soil has never been loosened or fertilized by education.”

~~ Charlotte Bronte ~~

2014 Archives at JournalScape

16 Responses to Brother’s Home! !

1. Betty Lou Parlee says:

So glad both of you are home and safe now. Paul’s doctor will make sure he will be O.K.

So glad to hear that Paul is now home! Wonderful timing, literally, that he was home when this happened.

I’m glad he’s going to wear the Holter monitor, just to make sure all is well. The entire thing sounded scary to me -and then I realized that I had several episodes of fainting when I was in my 20s and never did find a reason why.

3. crochetlady says:

I am glad you were able to go pick up Paul. I have had to stay in the hospital because of those type of attacks. They let him go because his heart wasn’t showing a problem. Take care of yourself as well as him.

I actually hadn’t thought of it THAT way Eric… you are droll!

Wow. I’m glad Paul’s okay. It is possible to just pass out for no particular reason (at least no reason connected with a serious problem). Good he’s having it checked out. Quite an act of courage on your part to get the car to the hospital.

As for “brother”…I hope the neighbors don’t figure you consider your husband a dog.

You’ve got that right, Nina! And I hadn’t even thought about that! He’s been home so much with all the wet and windy weather lately. Wow… scary if it happens at sea…

7. Carol says:

Hope he is OK.

8. Nina Camic says:

Yep, I’ve worn those. Fun. Well, okay, not fun, but not too cumbersome either. I taught with that thing hanging inside my clothes!

Good to do some follow ups but mostly, it’s good that he rebounded and that this happened at home and not at sea!

Well, this is a holter monitor:

And you can read about it here at Wikipedia.

Basically it’s “…a portable device for continuously monitoring various electrical activity of the cardiovascular system for at least 24 hours…”

10. l'empress says:

I know the term syncopal episode; it’s a fancy way of saying he fainted. (Harry did that once or twice.)

After my last hospitalization (September), I was told that I had to have a follow-up exam with my personal physician. Something about Medicare requiring it.

I’m glad Paul is okay. My best to you all.

11. Bonnie says:

I’m so glad he agreed to get checked and follow up with his doctor. (My stubborn husband would give me lip I’m sure.) Hopefully he gets some answers though and your nerves return to normal.

12. I am so glad Brother is home and you are all back together again. It must be very scary to go through something like that. I have not. Hope Paul hears good news and you all can relax. x0x0x0x0x

13. Irene Bean says:

So delighted to read this news. xoxo

14. sandy freel says:

“YIPPY” Best news all day

Well, Maggie, it was only a full day and a half of today, but it FELT like a week!

And when I drove to the front door (I didn’t have to get out of the car) to get him, he opened the passenger door and said “Boy! You are a sight for sore eyes” – just like you wrote!

He hasn’t shaved either in 2 mornings and is looking a little scruffy… but smiling and happy to be home.

16. How frightening Bex! Glad to hear Paul is fine now, and hoping that this episode is a one-off experience! How dreadful, to be without him for three days!

Congratulations on getting the Podd going to pick him up at the hospital, you must have been a sight for sore eyes for Paul! I’ve been wondering where you off to the last little while!