I’m Lost in the Jungle…

Everything I’ve come to rely on has failed lately. Except for a few people (thank you, and you know who you are!). But technologically, it’s been one failure after another for me.

My tablet, which I have tried to get going, with the help of my sister yesterday, does some things but won’t do other things. It’s making me crazy. Paul says to just read a book! Good old Paul.

I can’t let it go. I need to solve these issues.

Back to my laptop where I am now. But I have tried switching to Chrome for a browser… and I don’t understand it. Now my screen and fonts are so tiny I can’t even see them… How do I get the screen size to increase/decrease? I used to have a little box at the bottom right with IE, and one up in the toolbars with Firefox, but with Chrome, there is nothing! And I am just not smart enough to find it!

In my tablet conundrum, I have 2 email addys there, one (gmail of course) seems to work OK but that is not my MAIN addy… of course my main addy, verizon, keeps sticking every email I try to send in the OUTBOX and just sits there. I have tried everything including downloading the tablet’s online user’s manual… to NO AVAIL!

Paul offered to give me money for the tablet and he would destroy it for me! I said no. I don’t like unsolved problems and this is a big one, or two!

Trying to find an operating browser that I like and trying to get the darn tablet to work for me.

I have wandered deep into a jungle of technology and I can’t get out!

Jeers to the Modern Age… I am ready to get in the Way-Back-Machine!

Bex-the-Ignoramus

“Prejudices, it is well known, are most difficult to eradicate from the heart whose soil has never been loosened or fertilized by education.”

~~ Charlotte Bronte ~~

2014 Archives at JournalScape

10 Responses to I’m Lost in the Jungle…

Bex, with my tablet when you first turn it on there’s a screen with a lot of icons on it for apps. If I put my finger to the top of the screen and then swipe my finger down the screen a new pages opens up that has all kinds of settings on it for wifi, sound, screen brightness, and all manner of things.

With apps, you may have more than one page. If I swipe my finger from right to left then another page of apps shows up.

Mind you, if you don’t have a touch screen you might be pushing arrows or buttons to move in those directions.

Hope that helps.

Oh, and if you see a little cog sumbol, that goes to your settings.

2. Bonnie says:

Yes Harriet Ctrl + does work. Or on my Windows 7 it does.

Bex about all I can do is offer sympathy. I deleted my icon for the Word program. Now to open the program I have to find a letter I wrote and go from there. 😦 I think Paul may have had a good suggestion. πŸ™‚

3. Bex, I worked in IT (Information Technology) supporting university staff and students, for a few years. One trick we all used was to do a web search on any issue that we didn’t have an immediate solution for. We used it a lot, because a LOT can go wrong with computers, they are not a simple technology.

I did a search on the keywords, “windows chrome how change the font size”, and found information at the link below.

Now here is the thing, often when I do a search looking for a solution, I don’t know the keywords needed to find the information I need. This is what I do, I look at the list that comes up in the search engine, reading the little bits of info offered on each, not clicking on any of them, until I find one that seems to address something similar to the issue I need to resolve. Then I click on that link, read it hoping to find appropriate keywords to do a further search. In this way I can go from my own poorly worded query to using search terms that address the issue in terms a techi would use. I usually find an answer, sometimes after days. I take long breaks when it bogs down, and come back to it when I am feeling good about something else. I now do not allow myself to keep going until I feel frustrated. I close it all up and walk away at the first sign of frustration, and come back and start from scratch a little later. This has worked for me for the past 25 years in doing tech support and trouble shooting my own machines.

NO ONE knows everything about computers. Lots of people know a lot about a little, and can impress others as long as no one asks them anything outside of their own little skill set. Computer users don’t usually ask questions outside a computer customer support persons skill set, so they seem like they know everything. They don’t.

4. I know absolutely nothing about tablets. I live under a rock (that’s why I sleep with them). I hope I have not failed you too much Bex.

I am completely computer challenged. Hubby is totally opposite. When I have problems if I can’t figure it out after diddling around I just say the hell with it and go moaning to Mr. Wonderful because he, like some here in this post, is extremely tenacious and will not give up even if that means making a call and staying on the phone an hour grumbling and snarling. He helped me last time. He showed me a few tricks but would not show me everything because it was too confusing, time consuming and he was tired plus I take notes. I have to write everything down.

I hope your problem gets resolved because it has been annoying you for weeks and that it too long. One thing Mr Wonderful did show me was how to delete my temp files. I do that with IE and windows. With Norton (I kept it because my settings refused to upload other protection) one can find the files under ‘File Clean Up’ in the ‘Tune UP’ section. This has saved me a lot of headaches. It is outstanding how many files we pick up just going into one site. I probably do this clean up 15 times a day now with excellent results. I don’t know if this is of any help or not but it is the best I can do.

I think Nina mentioned forums and they are generally excellent to get info from.

I’m sure you will figure this out Bex because you’re determined.

P.S. love the new color of your page. Very gentle and soothing.

5. Irene Bean says:

Ugh. My computer has been groaning a lot lately. I’ve taken just about everything off my computer and dropped it into dropbox thinking once empty of files it would sigh with relief. No such luck.

I’m like you. I chomp down on a puzzle and won’t let go until it’s solved. *hugs*

Being pretty much a computer idiot, and using Firefox and a desktop computer, about all I can suggest is to find someone who knows about these things to come over and straighten it all out.

It isn’t lack of intelligence on our part. People of our age didn’t grow up learning to think the peculiar way computers require you to think. Many of us didn’t work with computers until we were middle-age. And especially for those of us who were never in technical fields to begin with, it’s an accomplishment to be able to use computers to the extent we do.

7. Nina Camic says:

Hmm. Frustrating indeed. I have no advice. Just sympathy. And this bit of ridiculous unnecessary advice: worry not and know that it will eventually sort itself out. It always does. (Then the next problem comes along…)

Good luck, Bex!

8. Susan Honthumb says:

I feel your pain. I’m like you, I’m tenacious. I will drop everything until I solve the puzzle. Eventually I do get it right, but I can’t remember how I solve those problems. I’m having a problem with my blog. I can’t find a font size adjustment, and that’s driving me crazy.

I knew that Harriet and yet I’d forgotten it in all the mess I’ve gotten myself into here. I just want my old life back! Before I started messing with things! Progress is not always a good thing…thank you!!!

10. l'empress says:

I don’t know what kind of special buttons your tablet has. However, I change the size of the screen by using Ctrl + or Ctrl -. That existed before the little box with the percentages and, as far as I know, it still works.