One More Thing…

Paul went off to sell his lobsters (to the public) at 2 today. At 3 he came home. He’s been ROBBED again!

His crate was empty.

Off he went to the police station to file the report. The officer came back and checked his crates and sure enough, all empty! Another guy got robbed of his not long ago, and Paul lost a whole crate to the B’Stards earlier this year too.

After all the work this man puts into his occupation, to be robbed of his profits like that is just SICK!

I know you THIEVES are not intelligent enough to be reading blogs like mine, but if you are… then go-to-he11!

Boo to the Thieves of this World!

“Prejudices, it is well known, are most difficult to eradicate from the heart whose soil has never been loosened or fertilized by education.”

~~ Charlotte Bronte ~~

11 Responses to One More Thing…

Happy New Year to you, Paul, Kip and Em, Bex!

Wishing you a much better year than the last and freedom from bug thieves!

*hugs*

2. Christos G. Makrypoulias says:

Bex, I’m very sorry to hear that Paul fell victim to dastardly thieves for the second time. I cannot help but recall one of my late grandmother’s favorite curses: “May the New Year never find them!”
    PS: This morning we received news that our friend was one of the last crewmembers to be rescued by the Italians. He’s en route to home as I write this. Your concern is much appreciated!

3. Irene Bean says:

My heart just crashed. (let me reboot)

The theft is disgraceful.
    Bex, this is truly heartbreaking news.

I read your previous post several days ago and like other sites, hadn’t gotten around to leaving comments. I loved reading about Paul’s lobstering – loved, loved, loved reading about it and all the photos.

Some people know no shame, so we’re left feeling it for them – that people like them exist – people who are bankrupt of any moral ground.

*hugs* to Paul.

Bex, the idea of the camera seems like a good one. It would probably even cost less than the losses of one holiday market’s sales.

I know of island businesses in our area that have harbor webcams, some of which even function well in low nighttime light, so I know it can be done and even viewed from your own home via the internet. You just need the ability to record everything, in case you need to hand it over to the police.

I have said the same things Teri, to Paul, and he just stares out into space. The thing about lobstermen (and fishermen) is that they are fiercely independent – of employers and of each other. They don’t even like to share what their catch is when asked, even by good friends! So getting them all together to make a plan is an impossibility. Also, any additional expenses, when this type of theft doesn’t happen all the time to everyone, would never fly either. Their profits are so hard won and, for the most part, so small, they just won’t do it.

Actually Paul was keeping his crate (which is like a trap but without all the decorations and only holds bugs under the water) a bit hidden up til lately when he admitted he got a little lax… so really, if you observed where a lobsterman keeps them, after dark in a small town you can pretty much just help yourself and no one will know.

As for the camera, I have urged him to do this, in fact, his cousin has a business right there overlooking the floats at the landing… but the thing is that once you’ve been burgled, you figure they won’t come back for a long time… trouble is that the holiday season is prime time for it! Now we have New Year’s to get through!

Christos, I sincerely pray that your family friend is among the 400+ passengers that were rescued from the ferry… such a horrible happening.

Those blankety-blank-blanks!!!

Bex, is there anywhere he can store his lobsters where at least a camera can be mounted? I mean, if he can’t store them somewhere where they’ll be safe maybe he could put a camera watching them and catch the monsters.

I think the lobstermen need to get together. It might be to their benefit to purchase or build a joint in-water storage area, and if necessary even hire security for it.

7. Oh, Bex that is terrible news. Just so unfair. Well, what goes around comes around. This also used to happen to my friends who lobstered in town (NY). Some times they even had their boats stolen!

That’s terrible. You’d think the cops might try looking into who might be buying several crates of lobsters. The way things work in the world is enough to make one despair.

They won’t be caught — they never are. They sell the bugs to someone and get away with it… every time.

I like the wish for them to get crabs… yes!!!

10. WendyNC says:

And that they get crabs of the non-marine variety as poetic justice!

11. Disgusting! I hope that justice prevails, that they are caught, stopped, and punished… and made to compensate Paul for their dirty work!