What’s the buzz, tell me what’s a-happenin’

Wow.

Is anyone having any problems with the internet today? I am.

It all started earlier when I visited a site called “allrecipes” – I seem to remember a long time ago having some problems with that site – loading in very slowly, etc. – but today when I was there things started going wrong with my computer. A virus was detected by my antivirus and it set about to eliminate it, as it is wont to do. When that was done, it happened 3 more times in a row, so I got out and cleaned up my disk and defragged, etc.

Then I was reading a blog by Maggie, a very nice simple-appearing blog without a lot of ads cluttering it up, and on her page I was seeing certain of her words were highlighted and in bold and in all-caps… with a little green arrow thingy beside them. When I’d just hover over those words with my cursor, it was as if I had clicked on them – which I didn’t – and then my screen was taken off to some weird place…

This all happened on another blog I was reading at Diaryland which normally is quite a simple non-ad site. Well, now I can’t seem to go anywhere without all this stuff happening.

I’ve updated my antivirus which usually is fabulous… but I am afraid to go anywhere now except to email which seems OK.

If anyone has had this happen to them, please let me know that it’s not just me?

This is what living in New England looks like this week:

Thanks,

2014 Archives at JournalScape

10 Responses to What’s the buzz, tell me what’s a-happenin’

And to make matters even worse, we woke up this morning to NO WATER! We panicked, if it was just “us” we were screwed. Called neighbor and she said it’s a City of Salem water main break down the street from here… so it’s not just us… which is a big relief… but still, no water!!

2. Nina Camic says:

I’ll go with the solar flare!
    The thing about mega snowfalls is that they create mega problems when it all melts — so, here’s hoping for a slow melt. (But it sure does look pretty in the photo!)

3. beanie says:

That’s interesting. All the Depot’s registers were down (nationwide) and we did have other issues on some of the other computers. Was there a solar flare or something?

Snow Update: We have had closing in on 48 inches of snow in the last week/week and a half. And none of it melted either. I am lucky I am so infirm that I can’t go out… but Paul isn’t so lucky, he’s much more fit and healthy than I am and he has to do all the shoveling.

I sure hope that virus stays away now. I got hit with something like that a few years ago after going to a perfectly innocent seeming real estate site. You just never know. We’ve got maybe 8 inches of snow here. Nothing compared to what you have by the looks of it. Good luck!

6. Bonnie says:

I use McAfee antivirus and Malware Bytes to try to keep ahead.

The picture looks like things did when we lived in Caribou ME and somewhat like a blizzard that went through South Dakota when we lived there.

Glad to hear that things seem to be better with your computer, Bex. One of the problems with viruses is that once one gets in if you don’t get both the original and all the little time bombs they might hide, eventually they’ll reconnect to the internet and take over your computer again.

That’s some picture of your snow! Looks like a war zone, doesn’t it! Our roads are clogged, too. Thankfully, cars aren’t allowed to park on the streets at night so we don’t end up with the kind of thing in your pic.

8. That is good news Bex!

I am currently using Chrome.

It seems to have resolved after all I did. I updated some programs with MS too… that may have helped.

10. That is a great photo Bex, of new England!

I have not been having the issues you are having. Updating the anti-virus software is a great start. Did you scan your computer for viruses yet?

I’ll just add the comment I made on my blog:

“I think the first thing you need to consider is what browser you are using.

If you are using Chrome, this web page will explain how to protect yourself from all this intrusive content: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95472?hl=en

If you are using Firefox then this web page might be helpful: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/pop-blocker-settings-exceptions-troubleshooting

I don�t use Windows, so I am not up to date on what other browsers you have to choose from.

Your virus may still be with you, hard to tell. However, configuring your browser against such attacks is worthwhile.”