Headaches

I am about ready to toss the computer and internet into the ocean. I’ve just about HAD it with it all. It has taken me two full days to get so I could USE this thing again after something going awry with it all. I don’t know enough about computers to really know what the hell I’m doing either, so that makes it even harder. I found an adware program that I’ve just spent the whole day installing and running so it would delete all the infected files I had, and there were more than 2,300 of them! I’ve read what they all do and it all seems to relate back to advertising. It’s too much for my pea-sized brain to handle, and I am, more and more, envying Paul his refusal to deal with computers at all. Of course he has me to do stuff here, but I don’t know how long I’ll last here.

It’s been recommended I get a Mac (Air?) laptop. If I had the money, I would, even though I have NO CLUE how to use an Apple product at all. I’ve never even SEEN one in use before. But I do realize they are less likely to get viruses and bugs, and the quality of Apple seems to be much higher than the rest… but cash flow is the problem so I won’t be changing anytime soon.

I may just lay off internet usage for a while. I’m not saying I won’t be back because I am addicted just like everyone else is. But if you are wondering where I am, just email me and I’ll write back. Email seems to be working fine through all of this, so that’s one good thing. For now.

I have my new tablet but it’s not the same. I only use it for playing a game or two and for reading CNN and BBC news at the end of each day. Otherwise, it doesn’t play videos and I can’t see what good it is. I am very discouraged about the road the World Wide Web has taken vis-a-vis all the bad bugs out there that get in and want to do us all harm. I had a phone call the other day from someone asking for me and I was abrupt with him (he had a foreign accent of some kind) and when I was going to hang up he yelled that I’d been hacked and it really unnerved me. After that, all hell broke loose the next day with my computer system and it’s been two days I’ve been trying to fix it all. I’ve had to spend $39.99 to get the adware program to delete all the bad files it found (over 2300 of them!) so now I have that and it will check every afternoon for stuff. It’s just so time consuming and frustrating when you are of “a certain age” like I am and you just don’t “get” a lot of this technology.

Anyway, that’s that. I’ll be here just not so “out there” as before. Sorry! I’ll try to pop in each day somewhere here and there, to read your stuff, and maybe do a blog, but right now the fun has all gone out of it all for me. My brain is fried.

Jeers for the creeps of the world who just can’t leave the rest of us alone!

I think I could turn and live awhile with the animals…

They are so placid and self-contained,

I stand and look at them sometimes half the day long.

They do not sweat and whine about their condition,

They do not lie awake in the dark and weep for their sins,

They do not make me sick discussing their duty to God,

Not one is dissatisfied… not one is demented with the mania of owning things,

Not one kneels to another nor to his kind that lived thousands of years ago,

Not one is respectable or industrious over the whole earth.

~ [Walt Whitman, from “Leaves of Grass, No. 32”] ~

2014 Archives at JournalScape

2015 Archives at JournalScape

9 Responses to Headaches

1. Carol says:

Sorry. I have AVG anti virus free edition and it works well for me. Google it. You might get a pop up add once in a while asking you to upgrade to the pay edition but I never do. I have used it for several years and never had a virus.

Teri, see my comments in the next entry (“Facebook”) for a note to you.

Sorry to hear about the problems you’re having, Bex. I guess I never thought about it but I never get any of these things anymore. I’m guessing it’s because I run Avast as my anti-virus program? (Avast is free.)

Or maybe it’s because I panic as soon as I see one of those ‘don’t leave yet’ pop-ups and do a Ctrl+Alt+Delete immediately to bring up Task Manager and just kill my browser, rather than taking a chance and clicking on anything.

Hope everything straightens out for you soon. It’s horrible to lose control of what’s happening on your computer. *hug*

4. Bonnie says:

The first time I got that phone call I got scared and called my computer guy. Since then when the calls come in I say “I don’t have a computer, take me off your list”. 🙂

I used to have ad ware but now I just have Malware Bytes and McAfee. I guess I should thank Time Warner as I get few spam emails even.

5. Susan Honthumb says:

I totally understand and have been in your shoes way too many times. Deep Breath. Take a break and try again.

6. Bex, that call you received may not have been related to your computer woes. Why do I say this? I get those calls too, and the foreign sounding individual, when I innocently ask a few questions, tells me where to look in Windows to fix the problem. I don’t do widows, so I know the call is a fake. When confronted the caller is shamelessly aggressive, shamelessly. I just hang up. But if was on a Windows computer I would have worried!!!

I supported UNIX, Windows, and Mac computer operating systems when I worked in IT. It seemed to me at the time that most people were frightened into using Windows, because “everybody” else was using them. This certainly worked out well for the technical support staff, because Windows computers needed constant attention to keep them running, and kept the customers calling for help. Windows is a computer support tech’s dream come true.

On the other hand, Macs are not without their own, much smaller, set of issues. As with Windows, with Macs you have to be careful when you are “talking to strangers”. I always compare being on the Internet to walking around downtown in a big city… you have to watch out for yourself.

I can say though Bex, that I have been using Apple computers since 1986, and I have never seen the issues you have described over the years on an Apple/Mac computer.

I hope you are right Eric… it’s all very unsettling. I really have lost faith in most of humanity lately. Not you guys here, but “out there” – that crazed world that seems to be bent on destroying themselves and all the rest of us with them!

How horrible. Like you, I despair at the creeps who infest our world and make things miserable for the vast majority of us who have no desire to harm others. Why do they enjoy making trouble? What would it feel like to be inside their evil minds?

I also feel helpless when our computers go off the rails. Twenty years ago I knew a little about the DOS operating system but today it’s all far far beyond me. And it is an uncomfortable situation to be so dependent on what you don’t understand. I suppose this is why we don’t live forever.

I find that after things are back to normal for a few weeks my disgust with it all gradually wanes and I can return to my usual usage. I hope things go okay for you now, and with that protective program you have working now you mot have a repeat of this nightmare.

9. Sandy Freel says:

WOW…I got a phone call like that last week…so far I am ok here but keeping a watch now .
    Bummer for you.