Back, for now

I’m back at FB. For now. I have spent way more time dealing with computer problems than I ever wanted to do. I’ve gone back to IE for my browser as that’s the only one out of three (IE/Moz.Firefox/Ggl.Chrome) that seems to work smoothly for me now. I have no idea why, either.

For a while, Chrome was fine. I liked it. Then I got a phone call from some goon yelling “You are hacked” into the phone and that set me off into an uncomfortable situation. The very next day when I was online, I got alerted by my antivirus program that I was under attack. So I figured that phone call was serious and true! I was getting popups all of a sudden warning me about bank accounts, credit cards, everything could be stolen, and worse, and it was all very unnerving. I could not do anything without all that stuff happening.

I tried changing over to my previous browser, Moz.Firefox, but that wasn’t working much better. I’d visit things like Nina C’s blog which never has any ad popups on it for me, and all of a sudden they were all over the place on her page. I also was getting ads at the top and bottom of my own blog here at JS as well as others at JS!

I got ahold of what I consider a legitimate malware/adware/spyware “hunter” and spent an entire day dealing with that installation and running of the scan. It took forever and came up with over 2300 “threats” – some not real serious but some were. It gave good explanations of what each was, too, so I learned a lot from that scan just watching it while it was happening.

I think what I’ve come away with is that we really are not that safe out here in internet-land. If huge governments can get hacked and things stolen, why not all of us? And we do. It’s just a matter of time for it to be me, or you, or anyone. I hate this.

So I finally changed back to my old IE browser. I never thought THAT would be the one to work the best, but after tweaking the settings to get it just right for me, it seems to be doing well. I keep running both programs, in fact, the antivirus one is running as I write this… and the deep malware scan I have run each day and will continue to do that each day or so. It is scheduled to run once a week if I don’t manually do it, but for now, I’m running it manually when I have some down time. The last scan it only came up with 8 potential threats so that’s an improvement anyway.

So, that’s what’s happening here. It’s been raining and going up to 50 today. A lot of the snow has gone, even though we got another 2 inches the other day… that all melted right away really.

Winter, winter, go away, and don’t come back at all this way!

Then I’ve got my friend Nina C. traveling in England again and am loving her blog right now. It’s here if you want to pop along with her in Cornwall, England, for a few days. This is a spot we’ve never visited but I’d always wanted to see it. Read so much about it but never went there… thanks Nina for taking me/us along!

Cheers and fingers crossed,

I think I could turn and live awhile with the animals…

They are so placid and self-contained,

I stand and look at them sometimes half the day long.

They do not sweat and whine about their condition,

They do not lie awake in the dark and weep for their sins,

They do not make me sick discussing their duty to God,

Not one is dissatisfied… not one is demented with the mania of owning things,

Not one kneels to another nor to his kind that lived thousands of years ago,

Not one is respectable or industrious over the whole earth.

~ [Walt Whitman, from “Leaves of Grass, No. 32”] ~

2014 Archives at JournalScape

2015 Archives at JournalScape

8 Responses to Back, for now

Hot cross buns! DH and I LOVE hot cross buns! Thank goodness they make them around here, even before Easter. (That’s one nice thing about living in a country with stronger ties to the UK, you get some of the tasty foods. ๐Ÿ˜‰ )

Bex, you could do a Ctrl+Alt+Delete right now and just look at the Task Manager. If you don’t click anything except close, nothing changes. You’ll see that it has a couple of different tabs that show you what programs you’re running.

If you need to due to being caught by one of those pages, you can select your browser (I believe it’s iexplorer.exe) and then you would right click and select End Program. A weird error or a strong program may duplicate the iexplorer.exe and you may have to close more than one. That’s okay, just close them.

(Don’t confuse iexplorer.exe with explorer.exe. The second one is Windows Explorer, and not what you want.)

2. beanie says:

I just got a new laptop, and had the same problem with ads.. I couldn’t find the page I wanted because it was covered with ads. I used my desktop to find out what the problem was and how to fix it but it took me a week to do that! I had to download 3 different programs to totally delete it. Nasty stuff.

Topsy has the right idea. Frankly, when I hit a suspicious page I just turn the computer off! I don’t even like to say it — and knock on wood — but Mary and I had some terrible computer virus outbreaks one after another but things have been going along fine for quite awhile since. Hope that’s your experience.

Thanks Nina for the dignified ((hug)) – I get it!

And I know I’d love Cornwall – Doc Martin country! What’s not to love? And I think the ads were on any page I was on… it was awful! Even on my page here at little Journalscape!

Thanks Maggie & Teri for the advice. I don’t know about Task Manager… I’m scared of stuff I’ve never done before because if I get stuck there’s no one to ask here. Actually, at one point I did do a Cntl/Alt/Del but nothing happened!

But thanks! I may have clicked one of those buttons to get rid of something and that’s where I went wrong! I got it now!

6. nina says:

Eeek! Ads on my blog??? How awful! Never! ๐Ÿ™‚

I do think a lot about you here in England. I see hot cross buns and I think — Bex probably likes these! And so on.

Cornwall is beautiful, but you probably would say – nah, Yorkshire is finer.

Sending you and English dignified hug!

7. Bex, I agree with Teri’s advice completely.

I have one browser configured to accept: no cookies, except for chosen and designated sites; no saved data; no images, no history, and no bookmarks. I use that browser for logging into my accounts etc. and do not use that browser for browsing on the internet. I gad about the internet with a different browser, that never sees a login page.

Thanks for the link to the Cornwall travelogue by Nina C, makes you wish you were there!

Bex, ignore any phone calls about your computer.

When it comes to having computer problems, if you ever have a page that says you have a virus or “are you sure you want to leave” do NOT click any buttons it offers you. Instead, hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete, go to your Task Manager, and close your browser program from there.

The browser will be near the top of the list of currently functioning programs.

Clicking one of those buttons to get out of one of those windows that won’t let you go is how you end up downloading malware and viruses, so you need to shut down the program using Task Manager. And when you re-open your browser do NOT let it go back to the most recent page.

Hope that helps.