Saturday Morning Stuff

Hello again friends,

I’ve just spent a long time typing out an email to a relative of mine who asked about what to see in and around the London area – and I had to think and think of what to say because we have never been IN London, per se, but I wanted to offer suggestions for other places they could visit if they wanted to venture out a bit. That took me a while to compose and now my fingers are very achy and sore from all that typing.

So, as usual, this will not be long.

Paul is planning on going back to work this coming week. Monday would have been the day but it may be bad weather here on Monday and maybe even Tuesday and Wednesday, so not sure if the weather will allow him back to work.

He has been slowly and progressively healing. He’s almost back to his old self, in my eyes, but I know he’s still very different inside. A brain injury is nothing to be sneezed at! We both feel for the myriad of athletes who get one, two, three, four and more brain concussions in their careers and then are left with diminished brain function in their older years. It’s not something we ever thought about before, but now we KNOW! The brain is so essential to the functioning of the entire body and one tiny little insult like a small bleed into it, and all hell breaks loose!

Paul was the worst whilst on the Keppra (anti-convulsant) medication. Once he stopped that after 7 days, he improved a lot and continues to improve. However, every day he goes upstairs and lies down and tries to nap, but he never can fall asleep during the daytime really. I can, but he can’t. He “rests” for several hours every day and that is so NOT like him… a result of his injury.

I give him little chores around here so he won’t go stir crazy. He is used to working every day of the year, and having all this free time is foreign to him.

100_1006//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js

100_1066//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js

So chores are the answer. Small things, like taking the dogs for a short walk down the hill and around the back of the neighborhood near the woods. Happy Dogs! And mowing the lawn.

Also, I had him retrieve a maple bed up from the basement yesterday that I wanted to use for my bed, and we did that. He couldn’t have done all that a week or two before, and we both had a hard time. We got it done, however, and then we both crashed on our respective beds and napped

100_1084//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js

Sometimes he’ll just come into the Reading Room with me and sit in his chair over by the fireplace and just watch the birds out the window.

100_1080//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js

All for now.

Bex & Co.

I think I could turn and live awhile with the animals…

They are so placid and self-contained,

I stand and look at them sometimes half the day long.

They do not sweat and whine about their condition,

They do not lie awake in the dark and weep for their sins,

They do not make me sick discussing their duty to God,

Not one is dissatisfied… not one is demented with the mania of owning things,

Not one kneels to another nor to his kind that lived thousands of years ago,

Not one is respectable or industrious over the whole earth.

~ [Walt Whitman, from “Leaves of Grass, No. 32”] ~

2014 Archives at JournalScape

2015 Archives at JournalScape

12 Responses to Saturday Morning Stuff

1. Sleeps_With_Rocks says:

Hi Bex,

I like what Susan said- “Sometimes there’s no going back to “normal.” Sometimes a new normal has to be created.” I agree with this when it comes to aging especially. Suddenly things can be different. Throw in an injury….had a few. Normal changes.

The best news is Paul is doing so well and willing to sport the helmet. He’s on the mend and that is wonderful. It’s fortunate he has the summer to do his mending and not be challenged by winter.

I thought about working with brain injured people. I went for an interview and had to watch a video beforehand. I was a complete mess afterwards. The interview did not last long because I was so distraught by the video-stories of how people got their brain injuries- I burst into tears. It was just toooooo much.

I have a dear friend living in England who is visiting in NY right now, her, our hometown.

Your bed looks comfy and the yard lush.

2. Sandy says:

Lol! I love Paul’s “Oh This is Me” comment about the helmet. I hope he wears it on his boat. It also sounds like he’s slowly getting better. I suspect being on the boat will accelerate his recovery since he loves it so much.

Yes Teri, he DID get that helmet! I haven’t taken a photo of it yet. He just left here to “go out on the boat” – just to check things over… not fishing but just “on the boat” — I told him to take the helmet and wear it, to break it in, sort of. A friend (Thanks Calvin!) brought this brand new racing bike type of helmet over for him… it’s royal blue and very spiffy looking… I hope he does wear it. He doesn’t seem to care at all what people think either, when he tried it on and looked in the mirror, he said “Oh THIS IS ME!”

Glad to hear things are getting better, day by day. I hope that Paul will be able to find a way to rest when necessary when he’s out on the water.

Did he ever get that helmet, Bex? I’m sure he doesn’t want to go through this again.

5. Bonnie says:

I do hope when he gets back on the boat the waters are smooth. 🙂

I totally hear you, Susan. I know that now. No going back. Pressing on.

How are you?

7. Susan Honthumb says:

Sometimes there’s no going back to “normal.” Sometimes a new normal has to be created. I’m glad things are getting back to a healthy place.

8. crochetlady says:

Slowly and surely does it. A man use to being as active as Paul would have a hard time resting during the day. Glad to hear that he’s getting there, though.

It’s good that Paul is healing. You are right about a concussion being serious business and the terrible damage many athletes sustain from multiple concussions. Coincidentally, a couple minutes ago Mary was lamenting the fact that a friend of ours, who was in a minor car accident and hit his head, had refused to go for a medical exam afterwards.

Man does that green lawn look nice. A few months ago, during the winter, green lawns began to seem like a silly myth.

You are so right Maggie… I never knew the human body had so many places it could hurt! Almost every day I have a new pain someplace… it never seems to end.

Thanks for your comments. xox

11. Bex, so nice to see Paul up and about. Taking a rest everyday may be a new normal for him, and it sounds as if he has the art of meditation mastered. It is interesting, how much we don’t know about what could happen to our bodies, our lives, the planet… sort of leaves you in awe!

12. sandy freel says:

So happy he is getting back to doing things…So unlike him to rest much so this is good news of healing.