QUIET!

I wish:

That I could go a whole day uninterrupted… just one day out of my entire life… without having to get up to go check something out, or let someone or other out the door or back in again, or cook something, or answer the door, or shoo-away holy-rollers-going-door-to-door, or listen to the phone ring 3 times before the answer phone picks it up and then listen to the loud recording and then either no message left or a long and boring and nonsensical message from the city’s robo-call set-up!

I want to be able to read a book… for as long as my mind will stay awake… just read until I can’t read any longer… til my eyes finally close and I nod off… but that never happens around here. Never.

Here, I thought today was going to be a fairly quiet day until the holy-rollers came strolling along the street and the dogs barked at them, so I just opened the front door up, as they were coming up my driveway, and yelled at them “NOT INTERESTED!!” and away they went.

Now Em is doing some kind of coughing thing and I’m following her around the house trying to help… get her to drink some water… then I sat back down and the neighbor’s truck alarm was set off somehow, beep-beep-BEEP! – and on and on it went for a long time… I had to get up and go out to the porch and make sure it wasn’t my car (it wasn’t) and look around til I saw it was down the hill – I don’t think they are home! The lights on their truck are blinking and it’s bleeping loudly!

Then the mail truck came by and left our mail – with an envelope left sitting on top of the mail box! I hate when he does that! Anyone could come by and steal it, or it could blow off and down the hill! I HAVE to go down there right then and get the mail which, many of you may know by know, is the most painful thing I do all day. I’ve been letting Paul get the mail lately if he’s home early enough, but if a piece of mail is left outside the box, I can’t just leave it!

I was trying to have a late lie-in earlier when the noises started out in back of our property… I didn’t know what was going on but it involved a lot of truck noises… finally I got up just to see, and they were removing parts of trees – all morning long! They’ve finally stopped now.

Oh, then my next door neighbor’s house alarm got set off but it was him and some guy in there fiddling with it!

I can’t watch TV much anymore because I’ve had it with all the bad news, but more especially the politics of the day… they are all so predictable and frustrating!

Oh, great. Now Em is doing that thing again – not really coughing but something like it… shoot!

I just want one day of no interruptions.

100_1362//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js

Em in her new bed.

I think I could turn and live awhile with the animals…

They are so placid and self-contained,

I stand and look at them sometimes half the day long.

They do not sweat and whine about their condition,

They do not lie awake in the dark and weep for their sins,

They do not make me sick discussing their duty to God,

Not one is dissatisfied… not one is demented with the mania of owning things,

Not one kneels to another nor to his kind that lived thousands of years ago,

Not one is respectable or industrious over the whole earth.

~ [Walt Whitman, from “Leaves of Grass, No. 32”] ~

2014 Archives at JournalScape

2015 Archives at JournalScape

//www.facebook.com/plugins/follow?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FBexCrowell&layout=standard&show_faces=true&colorscheme=light&width=450&height=80

9 Responses to QUIET!

Funny story about your Dad, Eric. Yes, I know NOT to start up a convo with the JW’s.

Today the outside noises were down to a dull roar, but Paul was home (too messy to lobster) so with him doing his things around the house, it was very difficult for me to read, again! I did start a new book, though, so maybe tomorrow will be quieter!

Sheesh. Compared to you we have quiet around here. Well, lots of chain saws, true. And hammering. Someone always seems to be cutting down trees or renovating within earshot. But not bad compared to say, Brooklyn where I lived for a few years.

Jehovah’s Witnesses (and other holy rollers) never venture up here. I’ve seen them around town though. Many years ago they caught my dad when he doing yard work and he couldn’t bring himself to turn them away. Gave them a dime for their magazine to get rid of them politely. Needless to say they returned, and when he kept giving them dimes they kept coming back and talking, more and more. He didn’t want to be rude. Finally they decided they had a hot prospect on the line and showed up with a senior recruiter. My dad finally realized he had to do something so he told them he was a devout Buddhist and that ended the visits. (He was a Methodist but that only nominally)

3. Bonnie says:

Bex you could call your local post office and report mail outside the box. šŸ™‚

The noises, we don’t have car alarms here. People can’t afford them in this neighborhood. Including us. When I can open windows I often am serenaded with Spanish/Mexican music so I have to put mine on as I’m not a fan.

Hope you find a nice quiet day very soon, Bex.

Over here, it’s dogs barking at the mailman or people walking other dogs, and delivery trucks going by which the dogs bark at. Unfortunately, those things never change, either. Well, I’ve considered a no-bark collar that works with sound. Maybe I’ll eventually do that. Heaven knows the dogs barking set my nerves on edge, though I hate to scream at them (not that screaming would help my nerves, anyhow).

Em looks great in her new bed!

5. crochetlady says:

In our new apartment,it is quiet. No noisy neighbors waking you by loudly talking in the hallway;no garbage collectors banging their way; no loud traffic; just the man upstairs waking up at 4:30 and taking his shower then, and the baby running back and forth at 6pm!

Actually, all those things, except maybe for the alarms, seem to happen every day here… in one form or another. If not the tree-trimmers, then the stupid leaf blowers! Or the snow blowers! Or the landscapers with their monster lawn mowers! It’s always some darn thing…

Thanks for the soothing calming vibes! šŸ˜‰

7. Wow, your day was full of interruptions Bex! Most of the things you describe drive me crazy too, but they have never happened here all on the same day. I hope you have a lovely, calm, quiet, restful day tomorrow, all day long!

8. WendyNC says:

Bex, I’m sending soothing and calming vibes your way.