Hallelujah – Radio Program – Soul Music (the beat goes on…)

This is a Podcast of a program I heard on our public radio station, WBUR, last night. What a fabulous program. It’s about 26 minutes long, and I highly recommend you play it and listen… if you can spare that many minutes out of your normally busy lives.

http://bbc.in/20cD3HQ – Click on the Compass to listen.

The song that was the subject of this Podcast was “Hallelujah” by Leonard Cohen. As you may know, this is one of my all-time favorite songs but this program presents how the song affected the lives of a few different people.

“Leonard Cohen’s ‘Hallelujah’ took him years to write. It originally had as many as 80 verses. Recorded for his Various Positions album, it was almost ignored when first released in 1984. Only Bob Dylan saw its true worth and would play it live. John Cale eventually recorded a version which was heard by an obscure musician called Jeff Buckley.

The song has been covered by hundreds of artists including Rufus Wainwright, K.D.Lang and Alexandra Burke.

We hear from those whose relationship with the song is deep and profound – singer Brandi Carlisle listened to it over and over again as a troubled teenager; it became a sound-track to James Talerico falling in love and Jim Kullander made a connexion with the song after the death of his wife.”

(All spelling above as it was published online.)

(Do they really spell “connection” as “connexion” these days or am I just being picky?)

This song, Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen has been played and listened to in this house for many years now; sung by various artists including K. D. Lang, Leonard himself at various stages of his life, Jeff Buckley, and my favorite rendition of all, by Rufus Wainwright (see below).

So I just wanted to memorialize the Podcast at the top of this blog in order to save it.

Apologies for not blogging more. I’m in a funk, a grief-driven funk that I’m finding it very difficult to pull up out of. I suspect that once the warmer weather gets here and I can get outside more and soak up some sun and vitamin D, I’ll start to improve. But, sorry to report, that’s not happening yet. I still miss my Kip as much as ever and can’t even talk about him without “losing it.” Sometimes I don’t mind the breaking down and letting it all out in tears, but I am trying. Paul even went and got checked out by his doctor because this whole affair with Kip has upset his stomach quite badly… and he wanted to know if it was just nerves or something more sinister. Doctor said it’s probably the nerves and grief more than any illness, so time will have to do the healing.

All for you luvs,

Bex & Co.

kip11feb16 004//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js

I think I could turn and live with animals…

They are so placid and self-contained,

I stand and look at them sometimes half the day long.

They do not sweat and whine about their condition,

They do not lie awake in the dark and weep for their sins,

They do not make me sick discussing their duty to God,

Not one is dissatisfied… not one is demented with the mania of owning things,

Not one kneels to another nor to his kind that lived thousands of years ago,

Not one is respectable or industrious over the whole earth.

~ [Walt Whitman, from “Leaves of Grass, No. 32”] ~

2014 Archives at JournalScape

2015 Archives at JournalScape

2016 Archives at JournalScape

//www.facebook.com/plugins/follow?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FBexCrowell&layout=standard&show_faces=true&colorscheme=light&width=450&height=80

7 Responses to Hallelujah – Radio Program – Soul Music (the beat goes on…)

1. Sandy says:

K.D.Lang is my favorite to sing the song.
    Comfort hugs…it is very hard to have the lose of a loved one.

I want to thank you, one and all, friends for your shoulders — yes, I know you are there, and I am here, too, for when you need mine.

The “waves of grief” are, slowly, getting fewer and fewer, but when one hits, it’s sudden and sustained for a while. It will only take a thought of “him” or a word about him to set it off.

I’ve loved all my pets, and I’ve had a good share of them over my almost-68 years of this life, but Kip has been the hardest to lose for some reason. When Whitby died, that was very, very hard too because she seemed fine one minute, and then the day from hell at the hospital and the next day she was gone. So no time to prepare. With Kip we had about a month to think about losing him, but that just wasn’t enough for me, I guess.

3. Susan Honthumb says:

Bex, We’ve been blessed with some sun and some rain to balance things out. When I was able to get into the dirt and dig and plant right after teaching the classes from Hell, the soil and sun and fresh air soothed my soul. Part of it was the good weather and part of it was being busy, knowing that in time, my garden would take off and be plentiful.
    Grief is a fickle thing. Every April 12th, I think of my mom. She’s been gone since 1972. Some times I miss her more than other times. Tides of Grief are different for all of us. You do realize you have a bunch of friends who are willing to drop everything so you can cry on a shoulder.
    I think I’ll stick to the KD. Lange version.

4. Thank you for the link to the poscast Bex! My favourite is Famous Blue Raincoat, and the happy memories associated with that song strike me right through.

Grief takes its own time. I still come to tears missing my Granny, she passed in 1976. I have come to treasure the feeling, somehow it brings me closer to her. I hope you reach a balance with the grief, periods of time without the pain, to rest your weary souls. Life is a mystery.

A favorite song! Thanks for that, Bex!

Sorry you and Paul are still carrying such sadness over the loss of Kip. Thank goodness warmer weather is coming. I think both of you need to get outdoors. I know that’s always helped me when I’m in the depths of despair.

How about you making a supreme effort and joining Paul out on his boat when the weather warms up a bit? I think it would do you both good.

Speaking of Vitamin D, DH was reading me an article a week or so ago about conditions that can be caused by low Vitamin D. The article convinced me to try supplementing. Well, 2 days into my Vitamin D gummies (I wanted something that would be fun and tasty to take.) I realized that my dry mouth problems had gone away – and they haven’t been back since. So I now know at least one positive effect of having enough Vitamin D in your diet!

6. Sleeps_With_Rocks says:

I am sitting under the tree next to you Bex but for different reasons. I hope you are right about the sun and feeling better.

For some reason I suddenly have no sound on Utube. Always something.

Hoping you and Paul manage your days and grief and as time passes the grief will lessen. x0x0x0x0x0x

7. ava south says:

Grief is a terrible/wonderful thing. We vacillate between despair and hope as we try to blunder through it. Just letting you know that I understand. Some day I wonder at my existence and why I am left here. I know God has a plan, but I can’t find it. It’s like a giant puzzle or an endless maze. God bless you and keep you, Bex.