Emmalee

100_1236//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js

Today is the day Emmalee, our beautiful 12 year old collie girl, will be joining Kip over that Rainbow Bridge – otherwise known as doggie heaven.

Em and Kip//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js

She’s been “failing” for a while now. She can’t really see much anymore and can’t hear us either. But her legs are so bad that she will just fall down while standing there doing nothing… and after last night, when Paul came down after hearing some noises from her, he found her stuck in a corner behind a chair, unable to get up again or do anything really. It’s time.

She’s been with us since 21 April 2006. Here is my blog entry on her first day at Crow Cottage.

a room with a view//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js

So, around noon today Em will go with Paul to the new vet in Marblehead and be relieved of her worldly tribulations and pain and hopefully will join Kip in that netherland where all good dogs go after a loving life with their people.

100_2116//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js

I am also cancelling my birthday dinner tonight. Just can’t do it.

Bex & Paul

emmalee42816 017//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js

100_2104//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js

kip11feb16 004//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js

I think I could turn and live with animals…

They are so placid and self-contained,

I stand and look at them sometimes half the day long.

They do not sweat and whine about their condition,

They do not lie awake in the dark and weep for their sins,

They do not make me sick discussing their duty to God,

Not one is dissatisfied… not one is demented with the mania of owning things,

Not one kneels to another nor to his kind that lived thousands of years ago,

Not one is respectable or industrious over the whole earth.

~ [Walt Whitman, from “Leaves of Grass, No. 32”] ~

2014 Archives at JournalScape

2015 Archives at JournalScape

2016 Archives at JournalScape

//www.facebook.com/plugins/follow?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FBexCrowell&layout=standard&show_faces=true&colorscheme=light&width=450&height=80

15 Responses to Emmalee

1. Sandy in Chicago says:

I’m so sorry to hear about Em. I know how hard it can be to make that decision. But she’s at the rainbow bridge with Kip now, running and playing. Hugs for you and Paul.

2. nina says:

Such a rough year for you two! My deepest sympathies. It’s miserable losing those you love so much. I’m so very sad for you.

much love…

3. Nancy says:

I am so sorry! My sincere condolences

4. Bonnie says:

Bex I’m so sorry you and Paul are going through this again.

5. I read your news about Emmalee with a heavy heart Bex. What a birthday indeed. I think Kip and Em will be watching you and Paul as they stand at the door to heaven, keeping an eye on things down here.

Remember to take good care of yourselves through this sad time. Thinking of you both.

6. Susan says:

I’m so sorry. Not fair at all. You work so hard to make sure your animals eat healthy, and they still go too soon. My heart goes out to you.
    I will make sure I give my pack extra attention and extra love in memory of Em. I’m glad I had a chance to meet both of your wonderful companions. Please give my best to Paul.

Em left with Paul. In my car because his is being repaired. Of all days! Some birthday, huh? At least I’ll remember the date.

Paul’s Mum passed away on his birthday last August! What’s up with birthdays, anyway?

8. Sleeps_With_Rocks says:

Bex, My heart goes out to you and Paul. I am so sorry to read about Em.

Love & Hugs,
    Nora

Oh how awful. I’m so sorry. So close together. It doesn’t seem fair, except maybe it saves Emmalee missing Kip. I’ve watched our cats get to that stage when they become helpless and unable to stand. At that point there’s nothing you can do except help them leave. But it doesn’t make it easy.

Thank you all for your sentiments and thoughts. Since Kip passed, it’s been so quiet here. Em hasn’t been very lively at all, tending to just sleep the days away in her various beds. But when you get to a point where senses don’t work any more, what’s the point? And when the legs won’t hold you up, well, enough said. We’ve had dogs the whole 30 years we’ve been married, and before that I had cats (and dogs), so this next phase of our lives will be so different.

11. WendyNC says:

Bex, I’m so sorry to see this, but again applaud you and Paul for doing the right thing. It is so hard when they go close together, as the pain seems to multiply, not just be added. Take care.

12. Rosemary says:

I knew as soon as the subject showed up in my inbox, just as I had when it read Kip 😦 So very sad for you to lose both your furry friends in a short space of time. Think of them now back together, no pain or confusion just love. Hugs to you and Paul who provided them with a wonderful home and much love.

Oh, Bex and Paul! I’m so sorry! So sad, losing both your pups so close together! I understand, though, having gone through the beginnings of doggy dementia with our Louis about 6 years ago. It’s so hard to see them suffering, especially at night when they feel so lost, confused, and afraid.

Sending many good wishes and thoughts to you and Paul, you’re so brave to let her go. :’-(

I do hope so Sandy! I wish I knew for sure.

15. Sandy Freel says:

Comfort Hugs for both of you…sad to see Em leave now but the best thing you can do for her…she will be pain free and will be by Kip side forever..