Signs of Spring…

Hello All!

How are things going?

Life has slowed down to a crawl here for me. Life has sped up for Paul. So we meet in the middle somewhere each day and get through the days as best we can.

embox 015//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js

After the sad loss of our two wonderful and beloved collie dogs in less than 2 months, our emotions having taken the roller-coaster ride to hell and back, and we are settling down. Taking deep breaths… accepting that we are dogless and, indeed, petless, for the first time in many decades. With Paul around, it’s been tougher on us both because we feed off each other, and one mention of a dog will bring us both to tears immediately! When we are alone/apart from each other, as we are now that Paul is getting back to work, it’s a little easier to keep those strong urges to just sit and cry at a minimum. We miss them, oh how we miss them both! But Life Goes On!

The New Curtains:

I said I would make them and I have done so.

curtains99 003//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js

curtains22 001//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js

Here they are, all up. They are upholstery material so a bit heavier than normal fabric, and will keep the drafts out and brighten up that little room.

curtainsmore 009//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js

Had to make curtains for the back door, too. I still have to make a long valance to go over the windows that are in back of the kitchen sink area… but another day for that.

Birthday/Anniversary Bash:

We celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary the other day. As you may or may not know, all I ever want for my birthday or anniversary is a nice seafood spread from Dube’s restaurant in Salem. And seeing as how we’d lost our Emmalee on my birthday, we waited til our anniversary to do it. It was scrummy!

seafood 006//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js

seafood 003//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js

seafood 007//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js

I went and made a simple cake, too, but neither of us had room for that! Clams and scallops and onion rings were plenty, not to mention a big salad I’d made to go along…

A Dog:

Belle//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js

And then there was this dog — on Facebook. Her name is Belle. I took one look at that face and fell head over heels in love with this collie girl. Oh my. Be still my heart. She is being fostered by a wonderful and loving family in northern Iowa! I had little hope that we could adopt her, being so far away. However, I put out feelers to the powers that be and found out that rescue dogs can be transported clear across the country, if necessary! It was doable! I had a glimmer of hope starting up!

I know, I know, we said no more dogs. But Belle is different. She is 9 years old! That is almost how old Kip was when he passed. So I thought if we were going to be having Kip for several more years anyway, if he hadn’t developed that nasty bone cancer, then why not use those years to love and comfort a dog like Belle? I hear she would like a quiet home (like ours) with no other pets, especially no other dogs… so it all seemed just right!

Belle//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js

Just look at her long kissable nose!

belle2//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js

These photos were taken and provided by Mit, her Foster Mom. Mit and her family have four other collies and have said Belle is a sweet princess of a girl dog and would just love to be the Diva of a home!

So we applied for adoption from Noah’s Hope Animal Rescue group in Sioux City, Iowa. We are currently awaiting word as to whether or not we pass all the inspections. It’s a little nerve wracking, but we’re trying very hard to just breathe a lot and wait patiently for the process to work its way through. I know rescue groups are very picky about to whom they send their fur-babies… and we totally respect that. We adopted a rescue dog back in 1994 from the collie rescue group of New England, and went through that screening process also, and we had the best collie girl ever in the end… Muffin Collie-Flower!

MuffJazSofa//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js

There she is, tri-color Muffin with sister, white colllie Jasmine Rose in their favorite spot in the house!

So we are familiar with this procedure and respect it and are just waiting now, with fingers and toes all crossed!

Spring has sprung:

As for spring here in New England, it’s come!

gardenetc 037//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js

You can see the Viburnum bush is blooming and the aroma from those blooms is just divine. I always know spring is truly here when that bush blooms in the back yard.

Oh, forgot to mention that for my birthday this year, Paul got me four new rocking chairs for the two deck areas, front and back. These are out front, dark brown, and there are two more, white ones, on the back deck.

gardenetc 031//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js

I am preparing things so I can have some flowers this year on the front deck and a few veggies out on the back deck, maybe tomatoes and green peppers… I haven’t grown any veggies for many years, and I really want to get back into that now.

Here we are out front. It’s still early yet, but there is some color – the pot o’gold is blooming now, and some other things.

gardenapr13th 005//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js

gardenapr13th 035//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js

And that, as they say, is that my friends.

We’ve picked ourselves up and dusted off the cobwebs and are moving on through the year now.

But we’ll not forget what has come before. Em and Kip will live on in our hearts forever more.

gardenetc 002//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js

Bex & Co.

oxo

kip11feb16 004//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js

I think I could turn and live with animals…

They are so placid and self-contained,

I stand and look at them sometimes half the day long.

They do not sweat and whine about their condition,

They do not lie awake in the dark and weep for their sins,

They do not make me sick discussing their duty to God,

Not one is dissatisfied… not one is demented with the mania of owning things,

Not one kneels to another nor to his kind that lived thousands of years ago,

Not one is respectable or industrious over the whole earth.

~ [Walt Whitman, from “Leaves of Grass, No. 32”] ~

Prior to 2003, WebTV years at Tripod

2014 Archives at JournalScape

2015 Archives at JournalScape

2016 Archives at JournalScape

//www.facebook.com/plugins/follow?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FBexCrowell&layout=standard&show_faces=true&colorscheme=light&width=450&height=80

17 Responses to Signs of Spring…

1. Sandy in Chicago says:

That is such good news!! I hope they can arrange a fast transport. Yay!!

Congrats, Bex! Can’t wait to see that next post!

We were told that we will be Belle’s new parents as soon as it can all be arranged to have her driven the 1500 miles to our neck o’ the woods! From Iowa to the seashore of Massachusetts… I hope she’s not in culture shock! We will love her as much as anybody ever can… we feel so blessed to have found her! Once she is here, I will update…

4. cocoabean says:

Here’s hoping the foster family will see what good parents you would be.. I’m sure the princess will love your house!

5. Sandy says:

Bex, Happy Birthday and Happy Anniversary! I also like the curtains. They bring Spring inside. The seafood dinner made my mouth water. Yum! My fingers and toes are also crossed that the rescue group approves you and Belle comes to live with you. She is truly a beautiful dog and could find no better home. My cat, Sam, is crossing his paws in support 🙂

6. Sleeps_With_Rocks says:

Bex,

Nice entry. I enjoy the way you write.

I like your new curtains and especially the way you have them on the door.

Hoping that soon you and Paul will have Belle to cuddle. I swore I would not get any more birds but when we are settled down I am pairing these two off with pals. I can see how lonely Spike is.

So glad spring has arrived!

x0xx0x0x

Oh yes, forgot to say I really love your curtains! I love how green, outdoorsish, and spring-y they look.

8. ava south says:

I love your posts, so filled with your life and your feelings. The curtains look so nice and bring a bit of the outdoors in. I appreciate your feelings of loss and I’m glad to hear about Belle. I’m a bit down today and seem to move with the wind, up and down, and roundabout. Try to stay positive as I am trying to do. Much love.

Happy birthday. Sounds like things are finally taking a turn into the light, so that’s a great way to begin your next year. And speaking of light, the curtains are wonderful. Very light and airy looking. Great pattern.

I also think its terrific you plan on getting a house mate. I could see why you might not have wanted to but obviously you and Paul both enjoy canine friends so as long as you able why deprive yourselves.

Now I have to admit the Red Sox winning does nothing for me. Thus far the Yanks are occupying the Sox accustomed spot the last two years — ie last! So if the Sox would like to come on down that’d be fine!

10. Bonnie says:

Lovely curtains! The meal looked good except the salad. But I don’t eat iceberg lettuce. lol

Aww thanks guys! Thanks for the confidence and thanks for the thoughts. It sure makes a difference when the sun is shining, the Red Sox are winning, and Paul is out on the ocean working once again! There’s just this one thing left to make it all perfect here… Beautiful Belle!

So glad to hear that things are still looking positive with Belle possibly coming to join you and Paul. It’s often hard for rescues to find homes for senior dogs, and I think you folks and Belle would be wonderful for each other!

It’s been a rough few months for you. So glad that spring may be putting a silver lining on your cloud!

13. Wow!

First, Happy Birthday to you Bex, and Happy Anniversary to both you and Paul! It looks like a fine celebration, 30 years!

Next, I LOVE your curtains.

Belle, I too have everything crossed that things work out for Belle, because she couldn’t land in a better home than yours. If she gets you and Paul she will be one lucky dog. She is beautiful.

I could not be any happier for you and Paul Bex, you two are a couple of bright spirits.

Oh c’mon Susan, there must be some seafood places near Eugene? A short drive to the coast maybe? Go for it…

15. Susan says:

Nice synopsis of what’s going on. I was already jealous of your seafood banquet, but pictures have pushed me over the edge. Now I have cravings that can’t be fulfilled.

Thanks Wendy! The more fingers, toes and paws crossed the better! Positive vibes, and all… (smile).

17. WendyNC says:

Bex, that’s wonderful news about Belle. Here’s keeping fingers, toes and paws crossed that the rescue group is readily able to get the volunteer transport connections made to get her to you sooner rather than later.