Not Sure Anymore

To blog or not to blog – that is the question.

It used to be fun to blog, for me, but not anymore.  I’ve run dry in the thought-department, at least thoughts that might be interesting to others.

So far I have tried to type this entry 3 times and I keep losing what I’ve just typed.  I used to be a professional (medical) typist (transcriptionist), and typing at a good clip was my way of life.  Not anymore.  I use a flat keyboard (laptop) and it just isn’t like the old days when I could put  my hands on the keyboard and go to town… not having to look where the letters are, not having the cursor jump around on me all over the screen, not having the text I’d just spent a while entering go suddenly away!  It’s all very frustrating and to my shattered nerves at almost 70 years of age, it’s not fun.

I loved my old blog at JounalScape.  I don’t love my blog here at WordPress.  I’m thinking of cancelling it.  It is costing me $99/year to keep it the way I have it set up.  I could go for the cheaper version but not sure that would work either.  Is this worth $99/year to keep? I can’t even remember when I last wrote an entry.

Summertime in New England is here and has been quite hot, quite wet for a while, but now has turned cooler and sunny.  I am thankful.

My air-conditioners are thankful.

My dog is thankful, if she could talk, that is.

I am not thankful that old age is creeping into our lives here and is scaring me.

I am not thankful that the 36%, or however many there are (I refuse to take the blame for this debacle), elected a president that is so destructive to this country.  Politics is making me crazy.  I am worried.  I have been visualizing this country being morphed into “The United States of Russia” soon.  It’s all pointing that way.  Unless something happens to change things but I can’t see it.  There are no cahunas – no spines – left in Washington anymore.  They are all letting Russia and its puppets just steamroll right over us all – dismantling our systems and slowly, but surely, taking over everything.  You just watch..

Enough.  I always seem to get back to politics.  It’s making me crazy, like I said.

I have been crocheting in earnest now since 15 December 2016.  That’s more than 7 months.  I have way too many things to show you here that I’ve made.  But here is my latest project (if I can figure out how to get photos in here!):

squares 003.JPG

There we go.  I am making squares.  I’ve never done this technique for a blanket before, but I have all this leftover yarn from the Moorland Blanket job that I never did, so I’m using these lovely colors, from England.  Colors of the Yorkshire Moors.

I make about 2 or 3 squares a day, usually 2.  I have nowhere near as many squares as I’ll need (about 60 I figure), but I’m plodding along.

I’m also making two other blankets at the same time.  Below is the Coast Ripple blanket, also yarns from England.  This photo makes it look like it’s large enough, but I am following a pattern and I have many many more rows left to go.

newcurtain 003.JPG

Another one I’m working on is called “Hydrangea” – similarly, English yarns and colors – all actual colors of dried hydrangeas:

hydrangeablanket 004.JPG

Belle keeps me company.

newthings 006.JPG

Belle is the best girl-collie in the whole world and outer space!I

I got into a “market bag” fad and made these, gave 2 of them away, and made a few more.

Chris' bag done 019.JPG

Anyway, I could go on and on, but I’ll stop now.  My camera said I need to recharge the battery.  Luckily, I have a spare battery recharging, so I need to change it.

That’s all for now.  Back to my squares.  Maybe by next summer I’ll have a squares blanket to show for all these hours of crocheting.

Oh, I almost forgot about the drapes I crocheted!  I love them to pieces, in the front Reading Room.

curtains done 008.JPG

Bex & Co.

17 Responses to Not Sure Anymore

1. wildstorm says:

Ah, Bex, I know what our connection is. We have a mutual friend. A Crystal Heritage. She’s been my online friend for many years.

Hey, I didn’t know you were here! I’m going to make a point of looking in once in a while. I really loved Journalscape until everyone started dying, These days I don’t feel inspired to blog. Seems like I’ve totally emptied out my brain. Or maybe it is just old age emptying my brain! Waking up to new insanity from our Lunatic in Chief hasn’t helped my mood either. I good news, seems like the Rockies might make the playoffs, albeit as a roll-of-the-dice wildcard. Yankees look to be in the same position so there’s a tiny chance they might meet in the World Series. Glad to read you’re still truckin’ Least as much as any of us can truck these days.

Eric

• Bex says:

Eric! How are ya? So good to hear from you again. I don’t blog much either… my brain has emptied out, as well. AS you can see from this entry, I am more into yarn work now, and rarely spend hours online anymore. But maybe I’ll try real hard and do some more… so yes, go back and read what I have done since JOurnalscape but it’s not an awful lot! Soooo good to hear from you! Love to Mary and to your own self!

• Bex says:

BTW dear readers, Eric (Mayer) and wife Mary (Reed) write books – look them up on Amazon for all their books available… fabulous stuff.

3. Nancy says:

I do enjoy your writing but have to be honest and say at this stage in my life, cannot deal with the politics. Not so much for the politics themselves but because I have been dealing with several big, and I do mean big family crises at once. I am just not able to handle anymore stress than I’ve got. That said, I would hate to see you give up writing. If you don’t care to pay the big blog host fees, I would invite you to come on over to the blogger site. I have been there for years. I never wrote there much, but have decided to get back at it again. I have tried many places; Journalscape I liked, I hated that it shut down. I guess my thing about writing is I always felt like if I were going to blog it should be about a particular topic. Now, I don’t care. I’m going to write what I wanna write and not worry about it anymore. I LOVE your crochet work! You do a great job! I have managed to do a few scarves and things but I am very much a beginner. Anyway, please give it some more thought before throwing in your blogging towel!

4. KathrinS says:

Your crochets are beautiful! So colorful.
    How long have you been blogging? I only started a bit over a month ago, but have been enjoying it a lot. Don’t know how it’ll work when I’m back to full-time work though, because it’s taking up a lot of my time!!
    Also, you could just switch back to the free accoun, no? That’s what I’m using at the moment and it works great.

Kathrin — http://mycupofenglishtea.wordpress.com

• Bex says:

Hello Kathrin S. Thanks for commenting. As you can see by my links on the right-hand column, I’ve been doing a blog in one form or another for a long time, since the late 1990’s I think. Good luck with you, I will go have a look now. I’m old now and am running out of thoughts to share! Thanks about the crochet… I used to do a little of it and knitting back in the old days but just started again last December, and I am loving it.

Liked by 1 person

5. Sandy in Chicago says:

Hi Bex. I read you here and on Facebook.I would miss hearing about Paul and Belle and your life out East. Maybe you could check and see if the free version of WordPress would work for you?

I’ve cut back on my political posting on Facebook. I’d get so angry, it made me ill.I was thrilled the Republican so-called healthcare bill failed. I suspect he whose name I don’t want to say may likely be impeached. At least I hope so.

Your crocheting is really beautiful! Have you thought of selling some pieces or would that ruin it for you? I have a friend who makes jewelry and she does it just for herself and friends and says making it a business would make her hate it. But there’s Etsy and Ebay and probably other sites. Just a thought.

Pet Belle for me. Sam the cat sends purrs.

• Bex says:

Hello again Sandy from Chicago. Thanks for coming by! Yes, I would find it hard to sell my stuff… too much pressure, also. I have about 7 or 8 projects going all at once and don’t feel any pressure to get them done, which I like. You and I are sympatico in politics, I think.
      Belle says Woof-Hi! She’s a sweetheart, for sure. Hi and scritches back to Sam! xox

6. Nina Camic says:

Hey, blogger is free! 🙂
    You are over the top with your yarn-work. It’s incredible. You ought to sell it on etsy.
    Anyway, just to say — I always read and really like all your posts. But it;s no good if you dont like doing it. Still, if there’s no pressure and no cost, might you continue?

• Bex says:

I tried “blogger” once Nina and didn’t understand it. At least I’ve got it down how to do an entry with WP now… JournalScape was the easiest one ever! I wish I knew how my blog would change if I went with the free plan or the really cheap plan – I should read up on it. Thanks for always reading and always liking my posts! I suppose I will continue with it anyway… unless they cart me off to a nursing home some day and I have no control over my life anymore!

7. Your projects are so beautiful! The market bag I made, inspired by your market bags, is so handy, I use it constantly to tote things up and down the stairs. I love your blog entries, and would miss them, even if they are infrequent.

Politics have always driven me to distraction. Any dealings I have had with politicians has been, from my perspective, horrifying. They all speak “double speak”, they all have agendas that are not revealed to their public, supporters or detractors. Some are worse than others, and some are horrific, as many Americans now feel.

It is your blog, and others like it, your beautiful creations, your love for Paul, your love for Bell, and all of your pets, the beautiful things you say about your friends, your caring about the world around you, all of these things trump Trump. When the powerful play games, the real people need to keep the faith with life itself, and you do that here, and on Facebook. Good for you I say!

Liked by 1 person

8. blb1 says:

Love the curtains and the waves blanket.
    I thought wordpress had a free account. I hear you about what is going on in life. One of my friends, a dt supporter said all that stuff we read or hear about in twitter is being written by someone else he may or may not employ. Could be but his speeches give him away. All we can do is pray. I am dealing with a husband in early dementia, that takes a bite out of life. 🙂